How do I build my own sump!

DoggoThePuffer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want a some really bad with a refugium inside, it will be a 10 gallon too. So what do I do? Can somebody list the components from ebays website as I mostly use eBay for purchases? Thank you! Amazon will be fine if it’s not available on eBay or any other website too.

Octane13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check craiglist or FB market place. Depending on the size your looking for they can be build for almost no $. I build mine out of 2 20 gal longs, both were free and local pickups. So total build cost was a tube of silicone and a glass cutter. Local hardware stores also sell 1/8" panes of glass for cheap.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sump is just a standard 10 gallon. No baffles, no bubble trap, no nothing. The layout isn't ideal, but it works. The skimmer's on the right, the return pump is on the left, the filter sock is in the middle of the sump, and a pump for flow keeps everything fairly well mixed.

If my display was bigger than a 20g long, I would probably do a more legitimate sump to maximize efficiency. But for my setup, the 10g works.

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agreee with @DSC reef . I actually just set up a 135 this year with a sump. Actually your tanks sound a lot like mine. I started with a 55gallon no sump and had a reef. Decided to upgrade to a 135 gallon reef ready style so that I could have a sump. Personally if you can wait for the 1$ per gallon sale at petco you can get a 20G long or even more gallons for real cheap:) Also you can use acrylic which ever is cheaper in your area. Only drawback is that acrylic and silicone do not have as strong of a bond as glass to glass with silicone. Whichever u decide use AQUARIUM SAFE silicone. You are getting a reef rerady tank now?

RobZilla04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW sump size has nothing to do with the size of the display. A 10g tank can work with a 55g sump, and a 200g can work with a 10g sump. The sump size is merely determined by the equipment (and footprint) you are desiring to utilize in it.

AlexStinson

Plankton
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW sump size has nothing to do with the size of the display. A 10g tank can work with a 55g sump, and a 200g can work with a 10g sump. The sump size is merely determined by the equipment (and footprint) you are desiring to utilize in it.

I am going to have to disagree. The sump needs to be able to hold all the excess water in a power outage, and that amount goes up with the size and flow of a tank.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree. Proper water volume and size to hold the proper size skimmer for nutrient export will matter in a tank housing large fish producing waste. @AlexStinson I agree 100%

RobZilla04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to have to disagree. The sump needs to be able to hold all the excess water in a power outage, and that amount goes up with the size and flow of a tank.

Dependent upon shape of the sump yes. Certainly I am not saying that a 5g sump and a 150g display will work. But there is no reason a 10g long with height couldn't support a 150g display. The running water height in the sump would obviously need to be kept low in this case to allow room for overflow during a power loss.

I disagree. Proper water volume and size to hold the proper size skimmer for nutrient export will matter in a tank housing large fish producing waste. @AlexStinson I agree 100%

You proved my point. Proper size for a skimmer (an optional piece of equipment) has an impact on sump size choice.

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1
+1

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dependent upon shape of the sump yes. Certainly I am not saying that a 5g sump and a 150g display will work. But there is no reason a 10g long with height couldn't support a 150g display. The running water height in the sump would obviously need to be kept low in this case to allow room for overflow during a power loss. Keeping just enough water to cover a return pump is a bad idea

You proved my point. Proper size for a skimmer (an optional piece of equipment) has an impact on sump size choice.
That's not the only point, draining a 150 into a 10 gallon is a disaster for the OP. I'd suggest you catch up on all his threads.

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Doggo in your other threads you were saying you will be getting a larger tank yes?

I would wait until you get this new tank. Size the sump properly. Get a reef ready tank or have it drilled.

Take your time and do things right. Rushing has already gotten you in plenty of trouble

RobZilla04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not the only point, draining a 150 into a 10 gallon is a disaster for the OP. I'd suggest you catch up on all his threads.

No thank you. I was simply making a general statement that display size and sump size do not have a direct correlation. For clarification yes there needs to be sufficient volume available in a sump for the excess overflow for when the return pump is off. Outside of that, equipment choices (refugium, skimmer, reactors, etc) have the only direct bearing on sump size.

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Find you a 20 - 40 gallon tank at a yard sale or one of those $1 a gallon sale and go to modularmarine.com. They have kits. All you do is silicone.
That's the easy part ;) finding a tank and eBay is full of baffle kits for various sizes. I got a 40B at the $/gal sale and got a Fiji cube baffle kit on eBay.

The tougher part is getting water from tank to the sump. Since the tank is not drilled and already stocked drilling isn't an option. A hob overflow would be the only way to go. How truly reliable are they? I have no experience with them but the worry of failure steered me away from going that route. I'm sure plenty of people use them but always curious what true chance of failure is

Will Milberger

Aggie Aquarist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used HOB for years. The only issue is the dadgum air bubble. There are brands that can do away with it, but I was too cheap then. But they work pretty good.
You could also reduce water level and have someone hold a towel and drill.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@DSC reef nailed it on the head. A 10 gallon isn't going to be sufficient. Since you already have it, use your 55 you have now for a sump if you're not going to keep it going after setting up this new tank.

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used HOB for years. The only issue is the dadgum air bubble. There are brands that can do away with it, but I was too cheap then. But they work pretty good.
You could also reduce water level and have someone hold a towel and drill.
That would be my concern is air build up and loss of siphon without catching it. I know that the cpr overflows use an aqualifter for that issue but then you are relying on another piece of equipment for potential failure.

Ultimately I went with drilling and bean animal for peace of mind

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 176 72.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 45 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back