Do I have a legitimate gripe here?

ronsonb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered some corals on eBay from a prominent online vendor the prize of the order being a HG torch.

8 days later the torch got BJD and has since killed 5 other corals at this point costing a significant amount of money.

I’ve included some pictures of the coral where it was cut is where the infection started. I can’t definitely say it was a fresh cut obviously but the skeleton fell off in that area post mortem.

This coral was hundreds of dollars and cost me a few hundred more in losses (so far it’s only been 1 day) so what do I do here.

IMG_5826.jpeg 72869742929__CBD4E39C-5832-4E98-A818-FB6A4D309089.jpeg IMG_5835.jpeg

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
does this seller have a DOA policy? i’m sure even if they sell via ebay and being a prominent seller, they wouldn’t let this go unnoticed

OP
OP
R

ronsonb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea so I was heated when I got home from work and saw a bunch more corals succumbed to the BJD.

As I ate dinner though I thought about it and realized there is no way to prove that’s where it’s from despite my VERY strong inclination and just going to have to suck it up.

I appreciate you guys letting me vent though. Frustrating loss.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea so I was heated when I got home from work and saw a bunch more corals succumbed to the BJD.

As I ate dinner though I thought about it and realized there is no way to prove that’s where it’s from despite my VERY strong inclination and just going to have to suck it up.

I appreciate you guys letting me vent though. Frustrating loss.
There's no harm in contacting the seller and letting them know what happened. They might offer you some sort of remediation just as good customer service.

OP
OP
R

ronsonb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5837.jpeg
I did contact, no reply which I understand I’m not owed. When I received the corals I did think it was odd that the hammer and torch were cut down the middle of the skeletal stem. I’m assuming it’s standard practice just hadn’t seen it.

My assumption is… again pure assumption… is the flesh got injured on the HG frag that led to the BJD. So far this hammer with a similar cut is fine.

OP
OP
R

ronsonb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another shot of the HG skeleton. I can why people ask to see the flesh on the skeleton before purchase.

Attachments

• IMG_5839.jpeg
    IMG_5839.jpeg
    138 KB · Views: 22
OP
OP
R

ronsonb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious if you did any coral dipping when you got the coral delivered?
No I usually wait a week tbh. All corals go into a coral QT. Which is the tank it was in. I dip them after they get acclimated and again before they go in display.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I haven't seen any vendor that has an 8 day DOA policy, would be willing to bet none do.
good catch. i must’ve read over that part.

yet, if the BJD was provoked due to being a fresh cut then its negligence on the vendors end(or willingly selling an unhealed item). i’d wager that’s enough to at least entertain some sort of refund or credit.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Putting LPS in the mail, or clams, and many of the critters we mail order is only one disgruntled box handler away from a wipe out. I worked on the freight dock during college and automation might have improved the typical moves but the animals go for a wild ride inside the shipping boxes, no matter.

A good bump or two on the corner of an lps skeleton can injure the coral and make it more suseptable to BJD infections and death. Not to defend the seller or the shipper, but if an injured coral gets dropped into my tank it might get an infection from bacteria already present in my tank, it could have been healthy when the seller dropped it in the bag.

None of this kind of thinking or discussion can remove the damage or repay the lost life and money wrapped up in the transaction. I try to buy local but I live near the LAX hub and I can avoid shipping if I can contain myself. I always tell myself these things when I am looking at coral on line, and I thought I would share even though I like the on line sellers and mean them no malice.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.2%
Back