How do I clean 1 micron filter socks?

Maxx Yung

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title says, I don't know how to do it!

I'm using it for LaCl dosing, and after a dose, it clogged. I figured 3 hours in the washing mashing with bleach and hot water would do it. It did not work.
After that, I ran the filter socks 4 times in hot water + bleach, and also inside out. Tried it today and it is still clogged. Any solutions?

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I understand it, from what I’ve read from the manufacturer, 1 micron filter socks are meant to be discarded once they’re clogged. 1 micron porosity is tiny. Trapped particles are going to be very hard to dislodge, as you’ve noticed.

OP
OP
Maxx Yung

Maxx Yung

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I understand it, from what I’ve read from the manufacturer, 1 micron filter socks are meant to be discarded once they’re clogged. 1 micron porosity is tiny. Trapped particles are going to be very hard to dislodge, as you’ve noticed.

That's quite expensive. $10 per filter sock, one time use only?
Silly question, but have you tried washing them with vinegar or acid?

No, I will probably try soaking them in citric acid and then washing them again?

mtfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a 5 micron sock for LaCl. As posted above, I turn them inside out and then use an old toothbrush to scrub it while running water over it in my fish room sink. Seems to work well for me. I have never actually washed any of my filter socks.

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried the filter media cup. They come in 4 inch and 7 inch. Fill it with filter floss. When it gets clogged, just replace the filter floss. I would think they work the same as a filter sock.

OP
OP
Maxx Yung

Maxx Yung

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried the filter media cup. They come in 4 inch and 7 inch. Fill it with filter floss. When it gets clogged, just replace the filter floss. I would think they work the same as a filter sock.

I read somewhere that filter floss doesn't work for LaCl.

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't have a pressure washer - might get some 5 micron socks now. Was it easier to clean?
Yes, the 5 micron is easier. But I found washing them in the machine doesn't work near as good as water pressure. Plus I don't have to worry about chemical residue from the detergent.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the 5 micron is easier. But I found washing them in the machine doesn't work near as good as water pressure. Plus I don't have to worry about chemical residue from the detergent.
Yes I like this idea. Only issue is I don’t want to be breaking out my pressure washer in CT in Feb.;)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I run on a 28 min cycle with cold water only -no bleach and sparkling white.
Turn them inside out also

Garets92553

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah 1 micron is really small. I’ve used 20 micron no problem that way I can dose a diluted version over 24hrs with out it clogging. My watchmen goby even made it into the filter sock while I was dosing was in there at least 12 hrs he was perfectly fine. I ended up grabbing a 10 micron cause I needed at spend more money to get free shipping online I used it once since

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use laundry detergent in the washing machine. Sometimes, you need soap or a solvent to break things up - bleach is not the same. If you are really worried about it, then just rinse them a few more times. 1 micron is way harder to clean than 5 or 10 - if you purchase again, 4 or 10 is fine... if a little bit of flocculent gets through, this is not the end of the world and some people don't use socks at all and let the skimmer get it all eventually.

cmoore1167

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just turn my 200 micron sock inside out and handwash in the sink. Rubbing both sides with my hands bringing it right out with no soap. Not sure if its the same for lower micron.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 9 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back