How do I clean dry live rock that is filled with outdoor bugs?

anthony1222

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My friend gave me dry rock that used to be in his former aquarium but now has been sitting outside in an empty bucket for a few months. It is filled with ants and other bugs inside and outside its pores so I submerged the rocks in a bucket with tap water to kill all the bugs but I'm guessing that some of their dead bodies will stay inside the deep pores within the rock. How can I completely clean the rock so it is safe to use in my tank?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here is a related BRS video where they recommend bleach (the tie breaker being safety):

Upvote 0

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I agree that bleach would likely be an acceptable approach (as long as the correct type of bleach is used). My understanding is that bleach sterilizes the organic matter whereas muriatic acid dissolves the organic matter (and a small bit of the rock). I am open to thoughts or corrections.
I believe the idea of using muriatic acid on rock was started many years ago with the idea it removed phosphate from old rock that had been in a tank for years.
From all I remember and read it did help, but only by removing the surface layer of the rock, which helped.
I've used diluted muriatic acid to clean pumps that have coraline and calcium built up on them.

I tried an experiment a few years ago where I put medium sized rocks covered in button polyps,in a 50/50 bath of acid and freshwater.
24 hours later there was a mushy mass in the bucket, but no rock.

Upvote 0

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pure bleach meaning no soap,color or fragrances. Mix a quart plus or minus with 3 or 4 gallons of water. Add rock, soak for 24 hours. Hose off, soak rock in tap water for 24 hours. Air dry

Upvote 1
OP
OP
anthony1222

anthony1222

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I've cleaned rock that had organic matter ( outdoor bugs) I use bleach at 2-3 cups per 5 gallons of water. 24-48 hours. Rinse, dry in the sun for a day or two.
The bleach goes after organic matter. Acid will eat the rock
@anthony1222 - you may find this thread helpful:

If you decide to use bleach then make sure that you don't use bleach with softeners or other additive (you want straight bleach). One approach is to soak for 24 hours in strong bleach solution, rinse well, and then let sun dry for several days.
I'll try that tomorrow ty

Upvote 0

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'll try that tomorrow ty
I forgot to add one step. After I rinse the rock ( once it's clean), I do a short soak in a dechlorinator solution like API Tap Water Conditioner. I know it's one of those things that be unneeded because the chlorine in bleach dissipates as it drys.
But it's like a " peace of mind" thing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was 15 years old, I had a job working in a warehouse. They were going to paint the floor, and I was mopping the floor with muriatic acid to etch it so the paint would hold. It was about 2000 sq feet. At the end of a few hours of mopping, the bucket had a million pin holes in it. Leaked like a shower head.

My recommendation is to throw that dead nasty rock into the yard, and order some real "ocean live rock". Expensive, but worth it in the long run.

Upvote 0

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done this recently. Which is why I say acid. I used bleach on about 15lbs of rock and after 2-3 days there was still organic matter in the rock. It was mostly white but I could still see spider sacs in the rock. I tried acid on the next half and in about 15 min the rock was white and all organics were gone. There was a slightly muddy consistency to the outside layer of the rock before I rinsed it and I had some white "mud" in my driveway after rinsing. So did it remove some of the rock structure, yes, and I didnt weight it before and after so no idea as to how much rock was actually lost. I am guestimating the weight. This rock sat in an open tote in my basement for years after I sut my system down and for about 4 years in my new houses garage. It wasnt in the yard so the amount of terrestrial critters living in the rock was minimal mostly spiders and whatever was unlucky enough to fly or crawl in that tote.

Upvote 0

Obsessed with fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need to be careful doing this as the rock can build up pressure and cause them to explode or burst. While I'm sure it's not common place I thought it worth mentioning as a safety precaution.
I never thought of that, sorry for mentioning something that could be danderous.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
anthony1222

anthony1222

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bleached It for 24 hours and it got white but I'm still not sure if the organic stuff inside the pores is out or if it's just dead. Can I start cycling now?

Upvote 0

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding to what anthony said, you could also leave the rock in boiling water to kill any harmful bacteria on the rock.
Bad advice, DO NOT BOIL ROCKS!

If he had palys or zoa on the rocks you could be endangering anyone in the house when boiling them.

Do not do this!

Upvote 0

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm another vote for muriatic acid. I've used it before with good results. However, since bleach has already been used (also a useful approach...although IMO acid is better at removing larger organic compounds like bug bodies), I agree with the idea to let it dry for a few days and then put it into some saltwater to let it soak. You could check your phosphate levels and even use lanthanum to remove those if you start to see them rise. Then (after verifying PO4 at 0 for a few days) you could let it dry and then aquascape with it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
anthony1222

anthony1222

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What makes you think that?
I'm another vote for muriatic acid. I've used it before with good results. However, since bleach has already been used (also a useful approach...although IMO acid is better at removing larger organic compounds like bug bodies), I agree with the idea to let it dry for a few days and then put it into some saltwater to let it soak. You could check your phosphate levels and even use lanthanum to remove those if you start to see them rise. Then (after verifying PO4 at 0 for a few days) you could let it dry and then aquascape with it.
I didn't use acid cause I thought it was too dangerous since I don't want to spend the money on a respirator and stuff. I was upgrading my tank anyway so is it a good idea to let the rock sit in my new tank without livestock for a month then transfer my fish into the tank when it's done?

Upvote 0

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 81 79.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.9%
Back