How do I clean my protein skimmer

CharlieAsh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pulled the entire sump out to replumb after getting a new pump a few months ago. The old plumbing made it impossible to fully assemble the skimmer, so it hasn't been on in about 3 months (I know it isn't ideal, and I did a lot of frustrating work to compensate while learning enough about plumbing to tackle it). When I looked at the protein skimmer today I figured it could use some help.

I inherited this tank, which means I get to handle issues of years of use without having years of experience... Which is to say, I don't know how best to clean this or what the necessary maintenance is in the future (aside from cleaning the top bit regularly).

Any advice or guidance would be appreciated!
20221015_160627.jpg

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know what make skimmer it is ?

depending how long it’s been dry soaking it in a vinegar and water bath

I use the blue scotch brite pads and take extra care not to scratch the inside of the skimmer .

take it apart as much as possible .
bottle brush , q tips will help reaching places to clean .

if you can take the pump off prior to the vinegar soak that will help . Vinegar will eventually damage the magnetic pumps impeller

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I use the blue scotch brite pads and take extra care not to scratch the inside of the skimmer .

if you can take the pump off prior to the vinegar soak that will help . Vinegar will eventually damage the magnetic pumps impeller
I suggest using citric acid instead of vinegar.

OP
OP
CharlieAsh

CharlieAsh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It says Reefer Skimmer on the side.

I wasnt sure if vinegar would harm it. I clean my power heads in it occasionally and it helps so much!

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It says Reefer Skimmer on the side.

I wasnt sure if vinegar would harm it. I clean my power heads in it occasionally and it helps so much!
Vinegar is on for cleaning but there are reports of the vinegar swelling the magnets or impeller shortening the life of the pump .

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 25 34.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 8 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 18.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.8%

Back