How do I get my nitrates down?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested water today and no changes in nitrate. Is it too late in the cycle to use Dr. Tims live nitrifying bacteria and dose ammonium chloride?

For what purpose?

FWIW, nitrifying bacteria are the ones that make nitrate, not the ones that consume it.

You want denitrifying bacteria, which may be in the product too, but the issue is not usually too few bacteria but not enough organic matter for them to use when denitrifying ( organics and nitrate and a low O2 environment are All needed).

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what I'm hearing is add a hardy fish like clownfish? I will quarantine them for 4 weeks then add them
And relax - this will take some time and there is no reason to rush it and many not to. And don't just drop clowns into a new tank - they may be tough but you can certainly kill them. If you must have a fish add a blue damsel or two. Less expensive and just as tough. Feed them a little bit daily and wait a few weeks.

OP
OP
L

Lucas Lembke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And relax - this will take some time and there is no reason to rush it and many not to. And don't just drop clowns into a new tank - they may be tough but you can certainly kill them. If you must have a fish add a blue damsel or two. Less expensive and just as tough. Feed them a little bit daily and wait a few weeks.
No I was going to add them to my quarantine tank and wait 4 weeks to put them in the DT

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some tanks take longer to cycle than others. Personally I never change the water until the algae bloom comes and goes, because a water change can impede the cycling process.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 14 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 31 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 116 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.4%
Back