How do I get rid of these Algae?

Gravityband

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hey guys, as you can see in my video, it seems like I have a lot of hair algae and bubble algae’s..I have been dosing vibrant here and there and not really seeing any results, I did use an orange spot blenny and he cleaned my tank spotless. However they are currently in QT going through copper treatment..wanted to know if there is other option to fight against algae...

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stick with the vibrant .. iT takes time (weeks To months) but iT Will get rid of it , so long as you keep parameters in check .. how’s your nitrates and phos ???

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use a couple of emerald crabs, I had one that was a pig, unfortunately I now have one that is lazy and will have to get another, lol! They will happily eat both types of algae, food luck.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little more info over your tank will help as well , how old , parameters, en soforth

OP
OP
Gravityband

Gravityband

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stick with the vibrant .. iT takes time (weeks To months) but iT Will get rid of it , so long as you keep parameters in check .. how’s your nitrates and phos ???

My nitrate is zero and I don’t have a way to measure phos..last time I got my phos checked at a LFS was okay.

OP
OP
Gravityband

Gravityband

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use a couple of emerald crabs, I had one that was a pig, unfortunately I now have one that is lazy and will have to get another, lol! They will happily eat both types of algae, food luck.

Lol I used to have a emerald crab..maybe it’s time to get a another one!

OP
OP
Gravityband

Gravityband

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little more info over your tank will help as well , how old , parameters, en soforth

The tank is about six months old.
8.2 pH
0 nitrate
0 ammonia
0 nitrite

Used to have two clowns, one diamond goby, one flame angel, one Midas blenny, and one long nose hawk..now these guys are either in QT or dead due to the velvet issue I got going on....

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nitrate is zero and I don’t have a way to measure phos..last time I got my phos checked at a LFS was okay.
I would advise you get your self some test kits , calcium, nitrate, alk, mag, and phos .. these are the min you will need ..
Pull as much of the hair algae and bubble algae as you can by hand .. if you can remove your rocks to do this (one at a time ) and get as much of as possible .. bubble algae can be removed quite easily just be gentle and try not too pop them if you do it in your tank ..

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gravityband

Gravityband

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. Sorry for the late response. I have added in three Emerald crabs and one Lettuce sea slug after my last post. The algae is decreasing but my corals are now all closed up.

I just tested a few parameters:
pH 8.2
Kh 17
Ca 400 ppm
PO4 1.0

I know the kh and phosphate is way out of line.
I have a bottle of phosguard that I’m gonna start using.
Any idea on how to control kh?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back