Am I struggling to rid my tank of GHA because of flow?

Colemansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been struggling with green hair algae for a while it seems if I had increased the flow with the pump. I currently have any then my torches can’t handle it but green algae builds up and then when I suck it out, there’s like lots of detritus and stuff in the green hair algae I’ve tried to place a really small pump on the lowest setting in another spot to direct flow in a specific area and it seems to help a small amount in that small area, but I just don’t know what the best case scenario is for flow in my tank I’ve been thinking maybe I should get a very smal gyre pump and put it underneath my frag racks because the green hair algae grows on the frag racks a lot anyone have a 40b with a frag rack setup somewhat similar that can give me some advice on flow and what pumps to use where. I currently have a jebao slw-30 slw-10 and scp-70 and a couple other smaller contant flow type pumps I’ve tried to use the slw-30 but it seems to be too strong even on the lowest setting a for my torches and my hammers too. I was thinking maybe getting the jebao scp-50 and putting it under my frag racks to get some flow going accross the bottom without disturbing my corals too much but idk any help or advice is appreciated. My parameters are generally ph-8.3
Kh-9dkh
Calcium-460
Phos-.05-.1
Struggled to keep them down somewhat
Nitrates-8
Mag-1350
They vary slightly from the results mags been as low as 1300 at times all as low as 8.3 at times before dosing any questions that would help you help me please ask. Seeing significant growth on corals but zoas always look funny and sometimes don’t open fully seemingly dies to the algae because generally after a good vacuuming out algae into a bucket as I rip it off session they seem to open well for a short period until not algae returns. But LPS like torches and hammers are doing amazing most acros too but they will occasionally get tangled ups the algae which I vacuum out and they have better polyp extension shortly after. The algae comes back pretty quick which I don’t understand with the low nutrients and me vacuuming it out during water changes so I’m hardly leaving any in the tank that’s loose and I’ve done this a number of times 15 atleast over the last few months. Also have a small bristle tooth gold ring tang and a Sanford goby both regularly eating algae. But they are very small. Tank is 50b had a 30b for a sump have a reef octopus coralvue 150 2ai prime 16hds with the settings in the picture they’re spaced evenly have 6or more trochus snails 10-15 dwarf trochus 20plus dwarf cerith 2mwxican turbos I had 5 but a couple died 10or more as tread probably 10nasarius 3emerald crabs IMG_9917.jpeg IMG_9919.jpeg IMG_9918.jpeg

IMG_9920.png
IMG_9916.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Colemansreef

Colemansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you see in the pics above is probably a weeks growth after a cleaning where majority was removed beside some of the base root part that was very short and difficult to remove with out scrubbing.

OP
OP
Colemansreef

Colemansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well do you have a sump or fuge by chance and if so are you growing anything to outcompete for nutrients?
I have a sump 30 breeder I don’t have a sectioned of refuge I’m but I have a compartment in the sump that has chaeto and the red stuff dragons breath or something and I have a light Down there in that compartment but the algae doesn’t seem to grow.

NeedAReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a sump 30 breeder I don’t have a sectioned of refuge I’m but I have a compartment in the sump that has chaeto and the red stuff dragons breath or something and I have a light Down there in that compartment but the algae doesn’t seem to grow.
is that light off hours and for how long? it should be growing if it is a decent light for sure and you have that much nutrient I would think. Maybe one of the sump experts here can chime in on that?
also do you have a nice pod population going by chance seems like they could thrive and help cut down on the bad stuff

OP
OP
Colemansreef

Colemansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is that light off hours and for how long? it should be growing if it is a decent light for sure and you have that much nutrient I would think. Maybe one of the sump experts here can chime in on that?
also do you have a nice pod population going by chance seems like they could thrive and help cut down on the bad stuff
I’m pretty sure I have a decent pod population when I pull a frag plug out there’s generally a few on there and I see them on the glass at night. The light I have for my Refugium is actually a cheaper Amazon light should I have it set pretty high I went low because it’s just for algae. The main lights and refugium lights are on for 8 hrs main lights have 2hr ramp up and down so actually 12hrs total just only on full power for 8hrs.should it be8hrs including ramp up and down?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 79 55.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back