How do I keep ghost shimp alive??

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats up with my PH with this ****, sorry for being old school but I just started using the DI part and am not thrilled

I am new to city water, dont understand
So companies add minerals to their purified water to make it taste better. You can look up the various ones they add, and I bet they sell a remineralizer mix for people to make their water taste good.

Again, due to lack of minerals, the pH swings. CO2 gets dissolved and becomes carbonic acid, etc.

OP
OP
xxkenny90xx

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all! I've had the second batch for 6 days now and 0 casualties! Ok maybe 12 of them have been eaten already but none have died in the bucket.

I have 3 left now (gonna restock tomorrow), 2 are full of black eggs. What are your thoughts on raising the young? Should I give that a shot?

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all! I've had the second batch for 6 days now and 0 casualties! Ok maybe 12 of them have been eaten already but none have died in the bucket.

I have 3 left now (gonna restock tomorrow), 2 are full of black eggs. What are your thoughts on raising the young? Should I give that a shot?
You can try! But IIRC the larvae subsist off of greenwater (aka phyto), and have a larval life cycle. There’ve been a few reports on how to raise them, but it seems hard. And insustainable long term on a hobby scale.

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The awful taste is from the lack of minerals. And also CO2/O2.
Mainly co2 as lack of everytbing else does not give water a taste it leaves it blank and tasteless and co2 can be so bad it tastes rotten similar to sulphur but adding o2 will bring the tastlessness back

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try! But IIRC the larvae subsist off of greenwater (aka phyto), and have a larval life cycle. There’ve been a few reports on how to raise them, but it seems hard. And insustainable long term on a hobby scale.
Rasing the ghkst shrimp larva themselves is not hard they can and will eat powdered fish flake and grow into adults in about 30 days but keeping the water clean is the problem I raised them in a cut up 2 litter bottle with nothing more then an air stone and a slow drip in with an overflow pan for constaint water changes

afishbestservedcold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep both kinds
i-5XQ9t3v-M.jpg

i-WhkPc9M-M.jpg

A little killifish came in one of the shipments. He lives in my fuge.
WHAT IS THAT ALGAE IN THE FUGE???? I just got it and have been wondering...its so cool! looks like sw subwassertang

OP
OP
xxkenny90xx

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"How do I keep ghost shrimp alive?" ROTFLOL
OMG There are so many Halloween level responses to that.... I have this image on a shrimp zombie right now.
lol! Since I had just killed them all when I started this thread I guess I should have asked how to bring ghost shrimp back to life...

Picasso the Triggerfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest for keeping your feeder shrimp a 5 gallon (if they are freshwater) or a 10 gallon (if they are brackish), I suggest starting with 5 shrimp in the tank (although if you have more is ok, as long as it's not overstocked), and place (in case it's freshwater) a driftwood piece and some plants, or (in case it's brackish) place some small dead rocks (live rock is also fine, but it's too expensive and all the organisms will die due to hiposalinity) and some macroalgae, and most importantly of all, regardless if it is fresh or brackish, add a sponge filter. Your shrimps will love that

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 172 67.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back