How do I program Neptune AFS to trigger a feed mode automatically?

tylertheman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new AFS from Neptune systems and I want it to automatically trigger a feed mode that I set up for it. I’m feeding calanus for anthias and want the returns to shut off and let the food blow around the tank with the wave makers staying on. Ideally the dual returns would turn off a minute before the feeder feeds. Any ides?

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't use my feeder very often but this is a pretty basic program that feeds twice a day. You can always add to this for specific devices you want on/off like this sample statement "If Time 12:58 to 13:02 Then off" which would actually go in the pump program.

OSC 000:00/000:30/000:30 Then ON
If Time 00:00 to 13:00 Then OFF
If Time 13:02 to 17:00 Then OFF
If Time 17:02 to 00:00 Then OFF

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune has decent instructions if you Google the afs manual. Not intending to be rude just that you might see something else in there as far as programming. You will need to add a virtual outlet which you could call auto feed or something. You would program the virtual outlet with the times for feeding Then you would need to add a line in your return pump advanced program for if auto feed = on then off as well as a defer to keep the pump off for awhile while the food floats around like defer 005:00 then off which gives you five minutes. I’d copy and paste samples but it’s not easy for me but this should point you in the right direction good luck and enjoy

Last edited:

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is very simple when you plugged in your AFS. It created an outlet for your feeder find that outlet and click on the settings tab next to the outlet and configure inside that setting tab to do what you would like.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune has decent instructions if you Google the afs manual. Not intending to be rude just that you might see something else in there as far as programming. You will need to add a virtual outlet which you could call auto feed or something. You would program the virtual outlet with set off fallback off and if afs = on then on Then you would need to add a line in your return pump advanced program for if auto feed = on then off as well as a defer to keep the pump off for awhile while the food floats around like defer 000:05 then off which gives you five minutes. I’d copy and paste samples but it’s not easy for me but this should point you in the right direction good luck and enjoy
I forgot a little sorry. Here’s a sample of my virtual feed program which is for three feeds a day. The amount of time in minutes from on to off equates to revolutions of the feeder. Mine is five minutes which equates to two revolutions. This is where the manual comes in handy as it explains it better than I can off memory

Fallback off
Set OFF
If Time 03:05 to 03:10 Then ON
If Time 08:05 to 08:10 Then ON
If Time 13:05 to 13:10 Then ON
If FeedA 000 Then ON

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is very simple when you plugged in your AFS. It created an outlet for your feeder find that outlet and click on the settings tab next to the outlet and configure inside that setting tab to do what you would like.
Except it won’t allow for switching off the return pump. There’s more involved when wanting to do that and a virtual outlet is needed

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune has decent instructions if you Google the afs manual. Not intending to be rude just that you might see something else in there as far as programming. You will need to add a virtual outlet which you could call auto feed or something. You would program the virtual outlet with set off fallback off and if afs = on then on Then you would need to add a line in your return pump advanced program for if auto feed = on then off as well as a defer to keep the pump off for awhile while the food floats around like defer 000:05 then off which gives you five minutes. I’d copy and paste samples but it’s not easy for me but this should point you in the right direction good luck and enjoy
And here is the program of my return pump. Feed fish is my virtual outlet
Fallback ON
Set ON
If Output FeedFish = ON Then OFF
If Output V_Maintnance = ON Then OFF
Defer 012:00 Then ON

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope I copied the right examples I have no clue! I hope I’m not making it more confusing for you

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Um yes it does That’s in the advanced program section if it’s switched to advanced, this program can be written
I learned something new. I always had to program a virtual outlet for the feeder and add a line in the return pump program to do this. It’s great that you can do it all from the afs outlet advanced tab now, I’ll have to give it a try

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't use my feeder very often but this is a pretty basic program that feeds twice a day. You can always add to this for specific devices you want on/off like this sample statement "If Time 12:58 to 13:02 Then off" which would actually go in the pump program.

OSC 000:00/000:30/000:30 Then ON
If Time 00:00 to 13:00 Then OFF
If Time 13:02 to 17:00 Then OFF
If Time 17:02 to 00:00 Then OFF
This.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tylertheman

tylertheman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice. I have thought about using a virtual outlet and may try that. As with most of the programming it’ll take a bit of trial and error.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back