How do I raise my PH?

HaloPhenom27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have exhausted all possible methods that I am aware of. My powerheads are pointing towards the surface of the water. My outlet is half in and half out. My window stays open and I have an airpump outside with a line going into my built in sump (AIO) with that air being pumped in at it's highest capacity. I am at a loss here. My PH has not moved any higher than 8 and no lower than 7.8. I am shooting for 8.2 to 8.4. My PH was the same before opening a window and adding an airstone. It made no difference at all. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

OP
OP
HaloPhenom27

HaloPhenom27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never heard that lower PH sets you up for Dinos, 0 nitrates and 0 phosphates sets you up for Dinos.
I got that from a podcast on Reef Dudes. The guest that day was not only a long time Reefkeeper but also runs Elegant Corals and more importantly is a water processing engineer who works for a city water processing plant and is an expert apparently on bacteria and filtration.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got that from a podcast on Reef Dudes. The guest that day was not only a long time Reefkeeper but also runs Elegant Corals and more importantly is a water processing engineer who works for a city water processing plant and is an expert apparently on bacteria and filtration.
It's possible I guess, just never heard of that. Are you running a skimmer, like @AZMSGT said, a C02 scrubber isn't expensive and works very well, I use one and keep my PH between 8 and 8.2 daily. You do go thru some media though. I keep it their because of the growth, but you also use more ALK and Cal.

OP
OP
HaloPhenom27

HaloPhenom27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's possible I guess, just never heard of that. Are you running a skimmer, like @AZMSGT said, a C02 scrubber isn't expensive and works very well, I use on and keep my PH between 8 and 8.2 daily. You do go thru some media though. I keep it their because of the growth, but you also use more ALK and Cal.
I am not running a skimmer but it is funny you asked because one is going on the tank tomorrow. I am just waiting for delivery.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not running a skimmer but it is funny you asked because one is going on the tank tomorrow. I am just waiting for delivery.
All you have to do is hook it up to the inlet and add media and you are good to go. I use a apex, so I installed a solenoid and tee'd it off the inlet between the skimmer and reactor to control PH and it helps with media usage as it isn't always going thru the media. I purchased my reactor from Bulk Reef Supply and I get my media from there as well. Like @Retro Reefer said, 7.8 to 8.0 is just fine, but if you really want to raise it them I would suggest this route. Make sure you have several pouches of media until you know how long it last, because when it runs out your PH will drop to normal.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me, I wouldn't do anything about it. Raising your alkalinity will only temporarily change pH in my experience.

I can assure you that pH is not the principle reason people have dino outbreaks. Almost without exception it's NO3/PO4 being extremely low or imbalanced. I have battled dinos for a year with pH ranging from 8.2 to 8.4 It may be a lesser or secondary factor but there is a huge thread with peoples experiences with dinos and I don't remember low pH being mentioned by anyone.

OP
OP
HaloPhenom27

HaloPhenom27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All you have to do is hook it up to the inlet and add media and you are good to go. I use a apex, so I installed a solenoid and tee'd it off the inlet between the skimmer and reactor to control PH and it helps with media usage as it isn't always going thru the media. I purchased my reactor from Bulk Reef Supply and I get my media from there as well. Like @Retro Reefer said, 7.8 to 8.0 is just fine, but if you really want to raise it them I would suggest this route. Make sure you have several pouches of media until you know how long it last, because when it runs out your PH will drop to normal.
Thank you all for your help. I think I will let it ride because my tank is thriving and that is what matters. It was good to get some reassurance about it. My skimmer is coming in tomorrow so that may take care of it on it's own as you pointed out. Now I know of some other options if I really want to Chase it. I did not want to raise my Alk as my water paramaters are great right now and have been for awhile now. My Nitrates and Phosphates are in the Redfield Ratio and everything seems to be thriving.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
CO2 scrubber safe way. What you have now is acceptable and the last thing you want to do is chase PH values.
Stability of current numbers are more important

OP
OP
HaloPhenom27

HaloPhenom27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me, I wouldn't do anything about it. Raising your alkalinity will only temporarily change pH in my experience.

I can assure you that pH is not the principle reason people have dino outbreaks. Almost without exception it's NO3/PO4 being extremely low or imbalanced. I have battled dinos for a year with pH ranging from 8.2 to 8.4 It may be a lesser or secondary factor but there is a huge thread with peoples experiences with dinos and I don't remember low pH being mentioned by anyone.
I did not say it was the principle reason. Mind you, this was an expert who said that and by expert I mean a Degreed expert on the subject. He just said that when you ride the low line of PH, that it opens up a good environment for Dino to rear it's ugly head. I have never run super low Phosphate and Nitrates in my tank because I simply don't believe it is good to do so. I like to do things as naturally as possible.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for your help. I think I will let it ride because my tank is thriving and that is what matters. It was good to get some reassurance about it. My skimmer is coming in tomorrow so that may take care of it on it's own as you pointed out. Now I know of some other options if I really want to Chase it. I did not want to raise my Alk as my water paramaters are great right now and have been for awhile now. My Nitrates and Phosphates are in the Redfield Ratio and everything seems to be thriving.
Do you run a refugium? Reason why I ask is that PH drops mainly at night because photosynthesis stops. If you run a refugium and run the lights for it at night, the photosynthesis really never stops and the PH drop at night is greatly reduced or even stopped.

OP
OP
HaloPhenom27

HaloPhenom27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I wanted to add that I also had a problem at one point with Dino and I have been all through that Dino thread. The way I beat it was a plan from that same Engineer. And I beat it quite easily with his plan and have not seen a sign of it since.

OP
OP
HaloPhenom27

HaloPhenom27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you run a refugium? Reason why I ask is that PH drops mainly at night because photosynthesis stops. If you run a refugium and run the lights for it at night, the photosynthesis really never stops and the PH drop at night is greatly reduced or even stopped.
I have not hooked up a refugium yet but am thinking about it. It is a newer tank so I am still debating that. I do know that doing so would stop PH swings or lessen them greatly.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back