Opening windows to rise ph not working

Oiseaufeu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I was wondering if a ph of 7.6 is bad for corals? I’m only opening my windows for 15 or 20 minutes every day because it’s winter and it’s cold outside. I do not have any corals yet, but I plan on having some. I also don’t dose anything in my tank. I’m pretty sure my ph is staying at 7.6 all the time and do not swing at all. I had my pv at 8.2 when I started my tank. How long do you open a window in winter?

OP
OP
Oiseaufeu

Oiseaufeu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know the other's water Paramètres ?
Alk is sitting around 5 or 9. Will test it to be sure. I haven’t gotten the other tests and I probably won’t be able to move as a storm is heading my way, which can complicates me from moving.

OP
OP
Oiseaufeu

Oiseaufeu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a skimmer? Try running teh skimmer air input outside.....it helped me alot....also try dosing Kalk.....
No. I don’t have one as when I started it, it was cycling and didn’t need one during cycle.

OP
OP
Oiseaufeu

Oiseaufeu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I just tested today and my nitrates are 5, which has lowered a bit since the beginning of my tank. Alk is at 7 right now with a ph of 7.6. I'll feed my fish everyday to raise my nitrates and pull out some of those hair algae/bryopsis out of there cause that's what eating my nitrates away.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwiw I haven't tested PH in years and my nems and softies are thriving. This in a winter, family home with enough animals to get a tax break for being a public zoo. What you want to keep and the degree of your OCD will dictate on Ph being an issue or not.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not assume a pH test kit is accurate since there's no easy way to check it, but if you think it might be, try this aeration test. If the pH does not rise considerably with outdoor aeration, the kit is not accurate.

The Aeration Test

Some of the possible causes of low pH listed above require an effort to diagnose. Problems 3 and 4 are quite common, and here is a way to distinguish them. Remove a cup of tank water and measure its pH. Then aerate it for an hour with an airstone using outside air. Its pH should rise if it is unusually low for the measured alkalinity (Figure 2). Then repeat the same experiment on a new cup of water using inside air. If its pH also rises, then the aquarium’s pH will rise simply with more aeration because it is only the aquarium that contains excess carbon dioxide. If the pH does not rise in the cup (or rises very little) when aerating with indoor air, then that air likely contains excess CO2, and more aeration with that same air will not solve the low pH problem (although aeration with fresher air should). Be careful implementing this test if the outside aeration test results in a large temperature change (more than 5°C or 10°F), because such changes alone impact pH measurements.

OP
OP
Oiseaufeu

Oiseaufeu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump or canister filter ?
Canister that I emptied out of all media because of a noise problem. It started to make noise again, so I’ll try to clean the impeller component again. I do clean it every 3 weeks or so. I had a noise problem for months, so that’s why I emptied it out of all sponges.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s the liquid test. I put 3 drops in 5ml of water in a container and swirl it for 10 seconds. And then I read the result with the color chart.
Does anything look "off"?
If not, could just be test error.
Try aerating some tank water out side for an hour and test that. Let us know the results.

OP
OP
Oiseaufeu

Oiseaufeu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not assume a pH test kit is accurate since there's no easy way to check it, but if you think it might be, try this aeration test. If the pH does not rise considerably with outdoor aeration, the kit is not accurate.

The Aeration Test

Some of the possible causes of low pH listed above require an effort to diagnose. Problems 3 and 4 are quite common, and here is a way to distinguish them. Remove a cup of tank water and measure its pH. Then aerate it for an hour with an airstone using outside air. Its pH should rise if it is unusually low for the measured alkalinity (Figure 2). Then repeat the same experiment on a new cup of water using inside air. If its pH also rises, then the aquarium’s pH will rise simply with more aeration because it is only the aquarium that contains excess carbon dioxide. If the pH does not rise in the cup (or rises very little) when aerating with indoor air, then that air likely contains excess CO2, and more aeration with that same air will not solve the low pH problem (although aeration with fresher air should). Be careful implementing this test if the outside aeration test results in a large temperature change (more than 5°C or 10°F), because such changes alone impact pH measurements.
Thanks! Will keep my window open the whole day and see what it does.

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All things being equal, have you considered dosing kalkwasser to boost your pH? I don't dose much (500 ml a day in my 164 gal reef, dosed equally 12 times per day with a simple Kamoer dosing pump) but it has raised my pH from 8.0 to 8.2. And my corals have never looked better, and they're growing quickly.

It has also helped stabilize my alk and calcium, and it's very cost effective.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back