Lower Atmospheric CO2?

aaron186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m hoping for some suggestions to lower the CO2 in my house. My tank has struggled to keep the pH above 8 despite dosing and running a scrubber. I don’t have a good way to run a line outside and leaving a window open all the time isn’t possible due to climate.

I just went away on vacation for first time in 1.5 years since starting tank and my pH on my apex is at 8.3 without anyone in the house. So clearly us breathing in the house is the main culprit.

Is there away to bring more fresh into the house without keeping windows open or running lines. Is there something I can add to my hvac to bring in fresh air? Hoping for some suggestions.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I’m in Florida so I can look into that. My HVAC has a fan in it but keeping that on doesn’t seem to do much to the co2/pH

If it is not taking in fresh air, then it is just blowing the same air around the home.

OP
OP
A

aaron186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is not taking in fresh air, then it is just blowing the same air around the home.
Good point. I’ll give the HVAC people a call and check on pricing. Spending thousands on the hvac to make the coral grow better might get me dirty looks from the wife.. and not the good kind

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spending thousands on the hvac to make the coral grow better might get me dirty looks from the wife.. and not the good kind
If she got mad enough to leave you / kick you out, that would also lower the CO2.
But bringing in outside air is a much preferable solution.

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ichad low ph issues even when running a scrubber too. Switching to a recirculating skimmer setup fixed the ph issue and it holds more consistent throughout the day

OP
OP
A

aaron186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ichad low ph issues even when running a scrubber too. Switching to a recirculating skimmer setup fixed the ph issue and it holds more consistent throughout the day
Do they make a decent recirculating skimmer for a 100 gal tank?

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they make a decent recirculating skimmer for a 100 gal tank?
Sorry, I misstyped. Recirculating co2 scrubber. I ordered an adapter for my skimmer cip and a split barb for a small collection cup to keep extra fluid out of thr co2 scrubber instelf from fishofhex or hexoffish. I forget the site name. Took a few weeks to get the parts, but they are made to order.

OP
OP
A

aaron186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I misstyped. Recirculating co2 scrubber. I ordered an adapter for my skimmer cip and a split barb for a small collection cup to keep extra fluid out of thr co2 scrubber instelf from fishofhex or hexoffish. I forget the site name. Took a few weeks to get the parts, but they are made to order.
Ah. I have the exact one from fish of hex. It works well but in my experience it just makes the media last longer not work better. Those pH readings are with his recirc attachment on my Octo Elite 150 skimmer

lmfbs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the CO2 in your house? Mine is usually between 430 - 460 and the highest I've seen recently (except when I burnt a pizza) is 550. I'm struggling a bit with low pH too (in the last 24hrs the lowest has been 7.95 and highest 8.23 but generally it's sitting at around 8.05 - 8.15). I don't think CO2 is really my problem given outside atmospheric CO2 is around 422.

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah. I have the exact one from fish of hex. It works well but in my experience it just makes the media last longer not work better. Those pH readings are with his recirc attachment on my Octo Elite 150 skimmer
Out of curiosity, which co2 scrubber reactor do you use? I was using the brs one but got a good deal on the reef octo one and that also seemed to have bumped my ph a bit. I assume the brs one wasn't allowing the skimmer get proper air flow.

OP
OP
A

aaron186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity, which co2 scrubber reactor do you use? I was using the brs one but got a good deal on the reef octo one and that also seemed to have bumped my ph a bit. I assume the brs one wasn't allowing the skimmer get proper air flow.
BRS for me. I’d try a different brand but I don’t have floor space. The BRS scrubber can be wall mounted above the sump with screws.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 86 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back