co2 scrubber

devin.reed2000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those using co2 scrubbers, does it help combat low pH well? My pH sits around 7.8 in the day and 7.6 at night and I just ordered a co2 scrubber to attach to my skimmer. The room my tank is in doesn’t get much airflow. It’s winter here, and we naturally keep a cooler house so there isn’t much circulation. I’m just wondering everyone’s experience.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine worked pretty good boosting my pH from 7.7 peak to 8.2 at night and almost 8.4 at peak daytime. i don't run mine anymore though since my chaeto reactor has been doing the job keeping mine stable. if i were to run my CO2 reactor again i think i would use a 3 way electric valve so i could close the air draw to the reactor during peak hours of the day and let it run mostly at night and the morning hours.

something like this and run it off my apex

brayden2980

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same experience and made a manual control valve. I run a 450 gallon that sat at about 7.9 all day, installed a refugium and a co2 scrubber and now it stays at about 8.2 all day. The refugium bumped it up about 0.1 and the scrubbers doing the rest. I recirculated the air and the scrubbing material lasts a long time even in the big tank

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set up tonight a test.
I'm having my Apex switch to scrubber when it's low and switch back to air when the ph is at its High Point.
My pH runs at just below 7.8 and it gets to about 8.0 sometimes 8.1 during the day.
I teed off my outside Airline one side goes to the skimmer and the other side goes through a solenoid and a scrubber. I programmed it to open the solenoid at 8.0 and close it at 8.3.
I'm hoping this works well with my kalk reactor. We will see.

OP
OP
D

devin.reed2000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same experience and made a manual control valve. I run a 450 gallon that sat at about 7.9 all day, installed a refugium and a co2 scrubber and now it stays at about 8.2 all day. The refugium bumped it up about 0.1 and the scrubbers doing the rest. I recirculated the air and the scrubbing material lasts a long time even in the big tank
do you have a ph controller hooked up?

OP
OP
D

devin.reed2000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set up tonight a test.
I'm having my Apex switch to scrubber when it's low and switch back to air when the ph is at its High Point.
My pH runs at just below 7.8 and it gets to about 8.0 sometimes 8.1 during the day.
I teed off my outside Airline one side goes to the skimmer and the other side goes through a solenoid and a scrubber. I programmed it to open the solenoid at 8.0 and close it at 8.3.
I'm hoping this works well with my kalk reactor. We will see.
did you hook it up to a solenoid valve?

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did you hook it up to a solenoid valve?
Yes

Screenshot_20231115_214829_Chrome.jpg

Dbartlett727

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using the medium Ice Cap co2 scrubber for about a month now on my 75 gallon. My ph fluctuated between 7.6-8 before I installed it. Now it stays between 8-8.3 as long as i keep a bit of water in the bottom. for me, I need to add a bit every few days. And I’ve only just now had to replace my media for the first time after I noticed a bit of a drop in ph over 3 days. We have a full house here, 4 people, 2 dogs, 4 cats and windows always closed here in FL. Definitely worth the purchase and has helped keep my ph in the perfect range.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back