How do I use this multimeter?

subzero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m super illiterate in these kinds of things. I want to make sure there’s no stray voltage. Can someone tell me where where to turn the dial? And what do I plug into where? There’s a red and black cable. I heard one of them goes into a power outlet and the other in the water?
Thanks in advance!

AFF0B9AA-E104-4A37-A54F-32CCCE34B53B.jpeg

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll try, I can’t see detail, so we’ll see if I can screw this up. There should be two or three ports for the probes. You want one, typically black, in one that says com for common. The other, typically red, should go in one that has a V for volts. You would select V or VAC (or V with the squiggly line), and something along 200 if it’s not autoranging, typical outlet being 120vac and you want to be above that. The common lead, black would go into the ground at the receptacle. Lower, middle, half round, opening. The V volt lead would go into the water. Also, best bet is to have someone that knows how to use the meter and knows electricity do this. It’s not difficult, but better left to those that know. You can also google your particular meter for instructions.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've got it @Zzyzx , with one slight correction....it AC...alternating current.... and therefore the color of the lead doesn't matter. Pick one and put that in the tank water and place the other on a good ground.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've got it @Zzyzx , with one slight correction....it AC...alternating current.... and therefore the color of the lead doesn't matter. Pick one and put that in the tank water and place the other on a good ground.
Yeah, but I figured the ports on his meter might be colored as most are for dc and was trying to oversimplify it. It’s been a little while…I stopped being a sparky when I lost most my vision and the tremors kicked in. I decided I needed to stop being a human wiggy! It got to where it was like that old game “operation”, but it wasn’t a buzz and red nose.

OP
OP
S

subzero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll try, I can’t see detail, so we’ll see if I can screw this up. There should be two or three ports for the probes. You want one, typically black, in one that says com for common. The other, typically red, should go in one that has a V for volts. You would select V or VAC (or V with the squiggly line), and something along 200 if it’s not autoranging, typical outlet being 120vac and you want to be above that. The common lead, black would go into the ground at the receptacle. Lower, middle, half round, opening. The V volt lead would go into the water. Also, best bet is to have someone that knows how to use the meter and knows electricity do this. It’s not difficult, but better left to those that know. You can also google your particular meter for instructions.
Thanks was able to figure it out. I have minimal like 3 V in my tank.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 103 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back