How do mangroves work in saltwater

DEE’S reef

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 17, 2026
Messages
611
Reaction score
230
Location
warren, mi
What state or country do you live in
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been quite curious about mangrove and thought about growing one in my sump for a little while and I was wondering what exactly do they pull out of your water nutrients wise?
Do they kinda of act like macro algae?
 
I’ve been quite curious about mangrove and thought about growing one in my sump for a little while and I was wondering what exactly do they pull out of your water nutrients wise?
Do they kinda of act like macro algae?
I must say I don’t have experience with mangroves so take my words with a grain of salt, in my freshwater I keep pothos to keep nutrients down, I imagine mangroves work like pothos and macro algae in the way that they bring down phosphates and nitrates, hope this helps! If you end up doing definitely post how much it takes out or how it looks I’m thinking of doing it myself too😁
 
I want to do it so I’ll keep it in my sump and maybe I’ll a small cube tank that I’ll make it a center piece of.
 
Some what similar but it needs a proper plant grow light with enough wattage. I’ve got 200 watt plant light over mine. I tried growing it under a nicrew 100watt reef light but it only grew 2 leaves in 2 years. It’s a bit more effort than macro algae IME.
 
You need a plant light, not a reef light.
 
They grow
PXL_20260715_190714213.jpg
PXL_20260712_145615475.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 8.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new