How do u keep your jumpers in the tank?

carolinareefguy

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 24, 2013
Messages
92
Reaction score
24
Location
Charlotte, NC
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so hesitant on buying any wrasse or goby because the are such jumpers. I have a SPS heavy system so I don't want to use glass tops. Which method have you guys had most success with? Egg crate, screen mesh, canopy, or something else? Maybe no top and u hope for the best...
 
Don't hope for the best as jumpers will jump at the most opportune time....got a 2 ft eel and never been a jumper and when I moved him to my buddy 180 everything was fine n dandy then next am I went to do a few odd n ins and he was laying in floor by tank....luckily they can make it a few hours and he survived
 
Made my own covers using bridal lace. 0.97/yd at Wal-Mart ;)
 
I have 3 dartfish and 3 wrasses. I use eggcrate and haven't lost a fish. I think the key is aggression. less likely to jump in a peaceful tank.
 
Get a sheet of clear acrylic and an acrylic cutter/plastic cutting tool at your local hardware store, and then cut it to cover the openings in the top of your tank (make sure to cut the acrylic to a larger size than the openings!). My plastic covers have kept the wrasses and firefish from jumping out. I also have eggcrate covering the top of my overflow box to keep them from getting sucked into the sump.
 
Here's my solution

screentop_zps730ede3e.jpg
 
I saw that netting, but I have a jawfish and .5" may be too large a netting. BRS for .25" netting for me. Regular screen blocks too much light!
 
Clear 1/4" mesh is the only way to go. 1/2" is too big for the little guys; they'll go right through.
 
I have a canopy that matches my stand it look better it was more expensive and I put a screen on the back for easy access (cords) works for me.
 
I let mine jump out and sit on the floor until they are just about to pass over to the big ocean in the sky and then scoop them up and put theme back in. Scares the scales right off them and they never try it again. :).
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new