How do you combat false nutrient test due to algae

reef’r

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 2, 2023
Messages
902
Reaction score
531
Location
reef’d
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been dealing with bubble algae for awhile now trying to go manual removal and natural predators to get rid of it. In the mean time my nutrients are testing low NO3 has been at zero and PO4 has been around .04-.01. I’ve added a little of both from a bottle here and there and have done some increased feedings but I know I have nutrients in the tank it’s just being consumed by corals and algae. I have reinforcement coming from reef cleaners for my cleanup crew tomorrow but anyway just wondering how you go about keeping good readings of nutrient in the tank and not overfeed and end up with a nutrient bomb or opening the door for some other type of algae like GHA but also don’t want things to bottom out and possibly get Dino’s
 
Personally I would not be dosing or even be
concerned about nutrients when there is an algae problem.
 
I’ve been dealing with bubble algae for awhile now trying to go manual removal and natural predators to get rid of it. In the mean time my nutrients are testing low NO3 has been at zero and PO4 has been around .04-.01. I’ve added a little of both from a bottle here and there and have done some increased feedings but I know I have nutrients in the tank it’s just being consumed by corals and algae. I have reinforcement coming from reef cleaners for my cleanup crew tomorrow but anyway just wondering how you go about keeping good readings of nutrient in the tank and not overfeed and end up with a nutrient bomb or opening the door for some other type of algae like GHA but also don’t want things to bottom out and possibly get Dino’s
"False nutrient tests" is a funny idea the hobby has cooked up.

That idea is false.

The readings are accurate though unless you're doing the test wrong or the kit is expired.

Hopefully you aren't adding too many cleaners at once......that tends to be the case so shipping is worth it. 😬

High nutrients don't cause algae blooms.

Algae isn't kept at bay by keeping nutrients at zero.

Most of the conventional wisdom on the topic is just wrong.

Pest algae are just excellent competitors....their spores are easily airborne, so they are as omnipresent as just about anything. They compete for space by easily settling those spores and they sprout and survive easily.

Keeping nutrients elevated to a minimum availability level will allow less aggressive cometitors a chance to move into the tanks spaces as well.

Removing pest algae manually is the best solution for it – that's how it's done in the wild. You're the main member of the cleanup crew that's responsible for this. Algae eating snails are your henchmen – they are the ones you want cleaning up those spores and sprouts on a moment to moment basis. You just need enough that they are able to cover the surface area of your tank 24/7. (Not so many that they cause each other to starve to death tho.)

Algae is natural on a reef – eradication should not be the plan. It just shouldn't dominate.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 4 17.4%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 1 4.3%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 4 17.4%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new