How do you correct a minor salinity swing

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From testing weekly and my skimmer my salinity droped for 1.026-1.025. Just wondering do most people correct things like this with a water change. Im currently using red sea coral pro and my current alk is 9.9 (been letting drop). Dont want to spike it. I will be buying a new salt next week. I am just going to refill with diluted salt water vefy carefully to 1.026. Was curious how much my alk would rise. I am having a hard time choosing a salt. Thinking hw marine as it closely marches my target param want 8.4 ish dkh

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just add some more saltwater to the tank. As the excess water evaporates it'll gradually increase your SG. Although personally for .001 drop I probably wouldn't do anything except a WC.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From testing weekly and my skimmer my salinity droped for 1.026-1.025. Just wondering do most people correct things like this with a water change. Im currently using red sea coral pro and my current alk is 9.9 (been letting drop). Dont want to spike it. I will be buying a new salt next week. I am just going to refill with diluted salt water vefy carefully to 1.026. Was curious how much my alk would rise. I am having a hard time choosing a salt. Thinking hw marine as it closely marches my target param want 8.4 ish dkh

Skimming will drop salinity, but to drop from 1.026 to 1.025 would require removing ~4% of the tank volume (4 gallons on 100 gallons of water). If you are skimming that much out, definitely look to replace that same amount with salt water each week.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back