Salinity at 1.023 sg

cjtabares

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using my refractometer to measure my salinity, and I have been reading it as 1.025. Today I decided to test with the hydrometer, and it reads 1.023. The tank is about 2 months old, I am experiencing diatoms. Should I do water changes to correct this to 1.025, or leave it until the diatoms have gone away? I have 5 nassarius snails, a couch, a birds nest, a stylophora, a monti cap, and 2 clown fish.

If I should do water changes, how slow should I go?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using my refractometer to measure my salinity, and I have been reading it as 1.025. Today I decided to test with the hydrometer, and it reads 1.023. The tank is about 2 months old, I am experiencing diatoms. Should I do water changes to correct this to 1.025, or leave it until the diatoms have gone away? I have 5 nassarius snails, a couch, a birds nest, a stylophora, a monti cap, and 2 clown fish.

Nothing to be too concerned with. Just top off with saltwater until salinity reaches level. Also, make sure your refractometer is calibrated using calibration liquid.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check the Hydrometer for the temperature @ which it is accurate.
For example, the Tropic Marin hydrometer is accurate @ a temp. of 77 degrees.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

The only way to (assume) which one is right is to test a third source - and see what is closest. no matter what you do - or don't do - the salinity you're talking about is minimally different. No worries

OP
OP
C

cjtabares

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydrometers can also be affected by bubbles on the needle. If I were you I would disregard the hydrometer altogether, calibrate my refractometer, retest, and trust the new value.

A DIY recipe for your own calibration fluid, compliments of Randy, can be found here: https://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-06/rhf/index.php
I will try that diy solution out. As of right now I would lean that the hydrometer is more accurate , but will not adjust anything until I verify. Thanks.

OP
OP
C

cjtabares

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only way to (assume) which one is right is to test a third source - and see what is closest. no matter what you do - or don't do - the salinity you're talking about is minimally different. No worries
Yeah, I don’t think it is an emergency, was more worried about feeding the diatoms more silicate, I am always heard not to do water changes with a diatoms. Will verify everything 1st.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

The refractometer can be calibrated and should be periodically. Take a water sample if unsure which is correct to an lfs and have them verify and compare to your readings. As for diatoms, they appear in a tank which just completed its cycle but can also appear in an established reef tank and look ugly but in most cases are harmless and feed mainly off of silicates but also consume dissolved organic compounds, phosphate and nitrates. Tap water can contain silicates and is a good way to start a bloom if you use it to mix salt or to replace water that evaporated from the tank. The best way to prevent this is to use filtered water through an RODI unit, although you can still get diatoms when using RODI unit if the cartridge that removes silicates is expired.
Diatoms are typically harmless and can be beaten once their food source expires.
Some cleaner crew to help control it are : Cerith snails, Nerite snails and Trochus snails and also Astraea snails are effective at removing diatoms.

OP
OP
C

cjtabares

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The refractometer can be calibrated and should be periodically. Take a water sample if unsure which is correct to an lfs and have them verify and compare to your readings. As for diatoms, they appear in a tank which just completed its cycle but can also appear in an established reef tank and look ugly but in most cases are harmless and feed mainly off of silicates but also consume dissolved organic compounds, phosphate and nitrates. Tap water can contain silicates and is a good way to start a bloom if you use it to mix salt or to replace water that evaporated from the tank. The best way to prevent this is to use filtered water through an RODI unit, although you can still get diatoms when using RODI unit if the cartridge that removes silicates is expired.
Diatoms are typically harmless and can be beaten once their food source expires.
Some cleaner crew to help control it are : Cerith snails, Nerite snails and Trochus snails and also Astraea snails are effective at removing diatoms.
I replaced all the filters on my rodi unit about 2 months ago when I 1st set up the tank. Did buy the original rodi water from a lfs. I am pretty sure I bought a silicabuster mixed bed di filter. Am I right not to do water changes right now?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I replaced all the filters on my rodi unit about 2 months ago when I 1st set up the tank. Did buy the original rodi water from a lfs. I am pretty sure I bought a silicabuster mixed bed di filter. Am I right not to do water changes right now?
You sure can change water if you wish and reduce white intensity slightly and add snails as mentioned but this again is a normal occurrence with tanks

OP
OP
C

cjtabares

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You sure can change water if you wish and reduce white intensity slightly and add snails as mentioned but this again is a normal occurrence with tanks
Yeah, I am not overly concerned, just waiting it out. Added the few snails that are in there yesterday, and the urchin seems to be cleaning them off the rocks. Plan on adding more, just was worried about adding too many too quick and then starving.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 91 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.0%
Back