Votes: 2 6.5%

• Total voters

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wondering how everyone else doses chems like 2 part, mag, etc? Do you just dump it in the sump or do you drip it? Etc?

I drip my Kalk but for my 2 part and Mag I usually just dump it in the sump. I often wonder if I am doing it wrong...

NC Health

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dump my 2 part at night when lights off. the alk first in high flow area, then after a minute or 2, I dump the calcium. Weekly water changes of 20% with seachem reef salt keeps my trace elements up. My 2 cents worth. Al

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ijust dupm my ALK in a high flow area, and the CAL in the next day, I have always heard you are supposed to add seperatly at least 1 hour apart to prevent precipitation of the ALK. Just what I have heard.....

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dump now on my temp setup but I have 3 BRS dosing pumps in my closet for when I set my 220 up. Dosing is the only way to go. We aim for stability so you can't beat dosing throughout the day to keep params spot on.

When I add by hand I only wait a couple minutes between alk and Ca. Never had any issues but it also depends on flow in you tank. I dose in front of the powerhead.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My kalk is slowly added in for 20 seconds every 9 minutes throughout the entire day. My vodka is slowly dosed through a syringe right into the powerheads. Anything else is generally dumped into the sump.

subielover

Renegade reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My kalk is added through my ato, the only other thing I dose is Mg. and I just dump that in when needed (roughly every 2 weeks.)

OP
OP
skinz78

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh so I guess what I have been doing isn't so bad after all. I was thinking of getting a old butter container and drilling a tiny hole in the bottom of it. Fill it with RO/DI and then put the additives in it to drip into the sump.

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarless of the amounth i put it in a water bottle mix in SW then i have a IV line attached to the bottom and hot glued in, and two magnits glued to the back of the bottle just attach the bottle to my light rack and let it drip in for a few hours.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh so I guess what I have been doing isn't so bad after all. I was thinking of getting a old butter container and drilling a tiny hole in the bottom of it. Fill it with RO/DI and then put the additives in it to drip into the sump.

Just dump it into a high flow area, like the skimmer output, and you should be fine. Never had any problems with doing that

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
everything gets dumped in above a vortech-sorta works out as there's at least one vortech in each of the 4 tanks I dose. I do rounds of alk on each tank, then calc, then mag, etc so each dose has a bit of time to dissipate into the water column. I used to do alk morning, calc night, but stopped bothering with that and have seen no ill-effects.

sprinklerdudes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have to dose much anymore, so I just dump it in the overflow, and it mixes in the sump, been doing it that way for a couple years,

Michael7979

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually I drip them into the tank.
But if I am in somewhat of a hurry I'll dump it in but in several doses over say a 5-10 min timeperiod.

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a couple of bulk reef supply dosers (work great)for my cal and alk, for mag I just test every now and then and dump in what's needed.

ReeferDan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose at night after lights go out and dump it into the sump near the return pump so it goes directly into tank and then let hydor's circulate in tank.

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use my ato for the kalk but everything else I dump it in the tank. The other things are calcium and sometimes iodide.

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dump everything in that i dose in the chamber into the back of my tank. It's the closest thing i have to a sump for chemicals.

wakeboardgeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to dose alk in the morning while the pH was a little lower (than when the lights are on), then cal a few minutes later. All into the sump.

My wife got me a doser for christmas and now the doser doses evenly throughout the day. :)

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 101 44.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 77 33.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 37 16.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back