How do you frag....

TrialandError

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 14, 2012
Messages
503
Reaction score
2
Location
Fort Myers, FL
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An SPS in the tank? I am wanting to frag a piece of not sure what it is from my main colony. My only problem is I can't take the colony out of the tank as it has encrusted onto a huge rock. I tried doing the oops I thumped you in hopes of breaking a piece off but no luck.

Any advice is helpful.
 
I would purchase the bone cutters or pliers. Then simply find the piece you are wanting to frag and simply place bone cutters on, instead of squeezing you simply twist and it should just pop. The hard part is holding on to the fragment. Some people will rubber band a piece of styrofoam. I typically hold on to it with a set of tongs. After that you can decide if you plan on dipping the coral or mounting it on a frag plug. Best of luck!!!
Boston Aqua Farms Large Stony Coral Cutters (20 cm)
 
I just snap them off by hand.. lps are the only really tricky ones.. I've heard large tabling colonies can be difficult, but I wouldn't know, none of mine are that big :fish:
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 3 7.5%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new