How do you have your RO/DI set up? Looking for solutions to AZ heat.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in a Newer build 1800sf home and I have a problem trying to figure out where to place my RO/DI system. My tank will be something on the 165 gallon size so RO/DI is a must. Transporting water from the store to home is a no go.

1. I know the RO membrane can’t handle heat so setting up in the Garage is a no go. Laundry room is tiny and no sink.. so it’s a no go. Kitchen sink would be an option except no place to store processed water. Guest bathroom is an option but the wife needs to be happy. If I go with the bathroom option there is No place for long term storage of water. All in all nothing easy.. if anyone has had success with other options, I’m all ears.

2. Has anyone had problems with cold water being to hot in the summer time for the RO system to process correctly?

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How hot does it get in your garage?

100+

it’s true that extreme temperatures can shorten the life of your membrane, but i only use the best there is (spectrapure) and i still get years of use.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my RO unit in the laundry room and I don't have a sink. Supply comes from a splitter on the washer cold line and the waste goes down the washer drain. I also have a 50g storage tank under the counter in the same room.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say the laundry room is still your best option. It has a water outlet for the washer you can "Y" off. It also has a drain for the washer (for your reject water). Can you run the output hose to a brute, on wheels, in the garage?
I am on rain water for my home. My 20,000 gallon tank sits outside in 100F Texas heat.
If its like my pool it tops out around 85F late summer

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my RO unit in the laundry room and I don't have a sink. Supply comes from a splitter on the washer cold line and the waste goes down the washer drain. I also have a 50g storage tank under the counter in the same room.
Wish I could do this.. I have no room at all.

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I have lived in AZ for 22 years now and have my RO/DI setup with a quick disconnect, (like the old dishwashers had), on the downstairs bathroom faucet and have 4 5 gallon jugs that I put water in and store in the downstairs bathroom along with my WC equipment. All of it, except for the jugs, goes into the tub and I close the curtain when not using. Wife doesn't like, but when I explained about temps in garage, (100+ in summer even with door insulated), she grudgingly agreed.

OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I have lived in AZ for 22 years now and have my RO/DI setup with a quick disconnect, (like the old dishwashers had), on the downstairs bathroom faucet and have 4 5 gallon jugs that I put water in and store in the downstairs bathroom along with my WC equipment. All of it, except for the jugs, goes into the tub and I close the curtain when not using. Wife doesn't like, but when I explained about temps in garage, (100+ in summer even with door insulated), she grudgingly agreed.
Something similar to this is what I am considering. Wife isn’t thrilled but it is what it is..

OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have trouble producing proper RO/DI water with the “hot” cold water? My water lines all run in the attic space so the water is as hot as the attic space in the summer.

RobW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have trouble producing proper RO/DI water with the “hot” cold water? My water lines all run in the attic space so the water is as hot as the attic space in the summer.
Are you talking about your regular water lines or the lines for the rodi system?

Jman76

Keeper of Greens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is in the garage, but am considering moving to laundry room for the same reason. Never considered it, as havent had any problems but dont want any lol.

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is in my husband's and my bedroom. I know...sexy huh? We have it set up in the corner of the room. It is connected though the wall to our irrigation system plumbing outside. We have the waste water go out to our citrus tree.

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The next time she complains, just bring up that I have mine in my bedroom and see if she would be interested the change. ;)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 24 60.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 5.0%
Back