How do you keep butterfly's or tangs with predatory fish like eels? Eels are fed every 3-4 days but butterfly or tangs need to be fed almost everyday

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am genuinely curious, whenever you feed the fish, doesn't the eel also come up wanting food? Doesn't that also increase the chance of the eel mistaking a fish for food because you didn't feed the eel but only the fish? These are just my speculations because i want to try keeping them together

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They eat different prey items. Many folks train their eels to tongs or hand feedings with silversides that are too large for the mouths of most other tank fishes that you mentioned. The eels are not likely to go crazy over nori, for instance.

Still, food smells in the water are likely to attract attention of many things in the tank.

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I have generally had enough predator fish in any tank with eels or my cat shark so I fed daily, and the shark or eels ate when they wanted to. Always made sure a piece or two got past the groupers, lion fish etc. At the same time I would feed frozen or now homemade frozen in a different part of the tank for the small mouthed fish like the tangs and butterflies. But as mentioned above, training an eel to a feeding prong is a good plan.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am genuinely curious, whenever you feed the fish, doesn't the eel also come up wanting food? Doesn't that also increase the chance of the eel mistaking a fish for food because you didn't feed the eel but only the fish? These are just my speculations because i want to try keeping them together
Ghost, my snowflake is very mellow. When she smells food she just comes out and is very polite about it. Ivar, the jeweled is a butthole. He comes out and tries to chase all the fish off and catch the food in the water column when he is hungry. I distract him with his food and then he takes it and goes back to his cave. Just gotta watch their behavior and what they do when they are hungry. If they are not hungry I wont see either out and about when feeding my other fish

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have generally had enough predator fish in any tank with eels or my cat shark so I fed daily, and the shark or eels ate when they wanted to. Always made sure a piece or two got past the groupers, lion fish etc. At the same time I would feed frozen or now homemade frozen in a different part of the tank for the small mouthed fish like the tangs and butterflies. But as mentioned above, training an eel to a feeding prong is a good plan.
Oooo shark!!! Must post a picture. I love sharks, one of my dream fish if I ever win the lottery and can get a tank for them lol

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Oooo shark!!! Must post a picture. I love sharks, one of my dream fish if I ever win the lottery and can get a tank for them lol
Mine is a marbles cat shark. Doesn’t need the huge tank some do.

IMG_2541.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back