HELP with Grey faced Moray eel!

Ev8siveaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. I am trying my last ditch effort to keep my grey faced moray. He has been acting rather strange since the beginning of the year and he doesnt seem to be getting better. I figured I would get some advice before I decide to donate him back to my lfs (which may be for his own good).

I have had him for a little over three years and through 2 tank setups. He is roughly 16 to 18 inches long. He has eaten like a champ the whole time I have had him. I vary his diet with shrimp, squid, sockeye salmon, clams, and the occasional silverside. I had him on a feeding schedule of every 3 to 5 days and he would come out when he was hungry, eat, and then go back in his cave until he was hungry again.

He went off eating right after Xmas. He just stopped taking food. I didnt think much of it then because there had been a time or two where he went off feeding for a week or two. Now that we are at 3 months, I am concerned. Even though that concerns me, that is the least of my concerns compared to other issues. Up until about 2 weeks ago he used to hide in his cave. He came out of his cave one day and literally has never gone back in. He is out 24/7 slithering along the rock tops or swimming around. I find that to be odd behavior for him. It is getting to the point where he has kicked some of my fish out of their sleeping spots just because he is in and out of there constantly. He doesnt even show an interest in going after the fish. Most are 7 inches plus so he wouldnt be able to eat them. I have tried everyday for the past 3 months to feed him and nothing. The other strange thing is that he will consistently attack his own tail. He has done this to the point where it is raw and is missing a considerable part of the end now. I have asked fellow eel keepers and they told me that most eels heal easily from wounds and to let it be. They have also said that they have never seen one attack its own tail before.

I have done my normal testing and nothing seems off. I have a 180 gallon/75 sump FOWRL tank with bigger semi aggressive fish. My nitrates do tend to stay between 40 and 55 due to it being a fowlr tank. I have crossed off nitrates as the culprit because they have always been between those ranges and I go for consistency rather than chasing a lower number with it. I also have a 9-10 inch diameter chocolate chip starfish that Ive had for over 4 years that is doing great and I know they cant tolerate really high nitrates.

I thought that maybe he had outgrown his cave so I got a little bit more rock from my sump and expanded his cave area to make it bigger for him. He instantly went in there to explore and then came out and never went back in. Doesnt seem like that was the issue.

I wondered if any of his tankmates were picking on him. I cant see any aggression and I feel if they were he would try to hide somewhere rather than hang out in plain site with the fish all day. I really dont think that is the cause either.

I am at a loss and at this point just feel bad for him. I am wondering if the best thing for him would be to donate him to my lfs to find a new home. I really would love to keep him. He has been a model citizen these past 3 years and I love having him around. I realize I cant be selfish if a change would better suit him.

I wanted to put this up as a last effort to see if anyone has any thoughts or input as to what I should do. Please let me know and thank you in advance. I did take a video of him the other day to show his behavior and how he is out 24/7. You can also see the end of his tail is raw.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey everyone. I am trying my last ditch effort to keep my grey faced moray. He has been acting rather strange since the beginning of the year and he doesnt seem to be getting better. I figured I would get some advice before I decide to donate him back to my lfs (which may be for his own good).

I have had him for a little over three years and through 2 tank setups. He is roughly 16 to 18 inches long. He has eaten like a champ the whole time I have had him. I vary his diet with shrimp, squid, sockeye salmon, clams, and the occasional silverside. I had him on a feeding schedule of every 3 to 5 days and he would come out when he was hungry, eat, and then go back in his cave until he was hungry again.

He went off eating right after Xmas. He just stopped taking food. I didnt think much of it then because there had been a time or two where he went off feeding for a week or two. Now that we are at 3 months, I am concerned. Even though that concerns me, that is the least of my concerns compared to other issues. Up until about 2 weeks ago he used to hide in his cave. He came out of his cave one day and literally has never gone back in. He is out 24/7 slithering along the rock tops or swimming around. I find that to be odd behavior for him. It is getting to the point where he has kicked some of my fish out of their sleeping spots just because he is in and out of there constantly. He doesnt even show an interest in going after the fish. Most are 7 inches plus so he wouldnt be able to eat them. I have tried everyday for the past 3 months to feed him and nothing. The other strange thing is that he will consistently attack his own tail. He has done this to the point where it is raw and is missing a considerable part of the end now. I have asked fellow eel keepers and they told me that most eels heal easily from wounds and to let it be. They have also said that they have never seen one attack its own tail before.

I have done my normal testing and nothing seems off. I have a 180 gallon/75 sump FOWRL tank with bigger semi aggressive fish. My nitrates do tend to stay between 40 and 55 due to it being a fowlr tank. I have crossed off nitrates as the culprit because they have always been between those ranges and I go for consistency rather than chasing a lower number with it. I also have a 9-10 inch diameter chocolate chip starfish that Ive had for over 4 years that is doing great and I know they cant tolerate really high nitrates.

I thought that maybe he had outgrown his cave so I got a little bit more rock from my sump and expanded his cave area to make it bigger for him. He instantly went in there to explore and then came out and never went back in. Doesnt seem like that was the issue.

I wondered if any of his tankmates were picking on him. I cant see any aggression and I feel if they were he would try to hide somewhere rather than hang out in plain site with the fish all day. I really dont think that is the cause either.

I am at a loss and at this point just feel bad for him. I am wondering if the best thing for him would be to donate him to my lfs to find a new home. I really would love to keep him. He has been a model citizen these past 3 years and I love having him around. I realize I cant be selfish if a change would better suit him.

I wanted to put this up as a last effort to see if anyone has any thoughts or input as to what I should do. Please let me know and thank you in advance. I did take a video of him the other day to show his behavior and how he is out 24/7. You can also see the end of his tail is raw.

Eel is breathing heavy and appears to have a tail injury which may be due to aggression. First and foremost, assure Nitrates are elevated and not an acceptable level for many eels if your test is accurate. Same for ammonia as they can be messy housekeeper. for tail, a safe treatment would be seachem kanaplex.
If there is a suspect in your tank, one way to find out is to set your cell phone on video mode for about 30 mins and drop a little food and walk away - YOU MUST walk away as they know youre there. Often the aggressor is a bully at feeding time.

OP
OP
Ev8siveaz

Ev8siveaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eel is breathing heavy and appears to have a tail injury which may be due to aggression. First and foremost, assure Nitrates are elevated and not an acceptable level for many eels if your test is accurate. Same for ammonia as they can be messy housekeeper. for tail, a safe treatment would be seachem kanaplex.
If there is a suspect in your tank, one way to find out is to set your cell phone on video mode for about 30 mins and drop a little food and walk away - YOU MUST walk away as they know youre there. Often the aggressor is a bully at feeding time.
I have tested and there is never any Ammonia present. I've been watching him shred his own tail over the past couple months. He has done it to himself. He will chase it and bite it and has been doing that for 3 months. I really don't think another tank mate did it.

I will say that my hogfish is a little bit of a bully at feeding time. He goes after my other wrasses from time to time.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tested and there is never any Ammonia present. I've been watching him shred his own tail over the past couple months. He has done it to himself. He will chase it and bite it and has been doing that for 3 months. I really don't think another tank mate did it.

I will say that my hogfish is a little bit of a bully at feeding time. He goes after my other wrasses from time to time.

Eels frequently go on hunger strikes, but this one is too long.

I’ve had a few reports of morays biting their own tails, I’ve never seen it in my own fish and I don’t know the cause. One hypothesis is it is a reaction to thiamin deficiency, and that is causing a neurological behavior issue. I don’t think that is the case here since the eels diet seemed good before.
Sorry - I don’t have any other ideas.

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if this would work for you but do you use activated carbon? Since the slime coat of eel's are toxic, they may build up overtime, especially, in a closed ecosystem and cause the eel stress, i had that issue with my eel and after a day of carbon he picked his appetite right back up as if nothing has ever happened

I hope he get's better, he's beautiful

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back