How do you like to remove encrusting corals from rock?

Tft12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few corals that grow in a low encrusting form, like Superman Montipora, that I'd like to stop from encroaching on other corals.

What are some good options for me to cut back/kill back these types of low spreading corals?

Also, are there any good ways to frag them by cleanly/safely removing them from rock?

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are tough to get off once they attach.. if you can pull the rock and try a small sharp chisel to break the rock underneath them. I usually just break off what I can by hand, you can cover unwanted remnants on rock with super glue

OP
OP
Tft12

Tft12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been cutting them out/off with a sharp blade but it takes a lot of force from my hand and I feel like I could eventually slip and stab my hand.

Are there any chisel or hammer solutions that are safe to use inside the tank?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can cover them with 2-part putty or kalk paste (turn the pumps off). If you do not care if they live or removing frags, you can just maul them a screwdriver and then siphon the pieces out.

This is why a lot of people have a no-monti rule.

OP
OP
Tft12

Tft12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can just maul them a screwdriver and then siphon the pieces out.

Thanks. I think I'll go with some combination of this and the kalk paste. Any things to consider about the particular screwdriver that I stick in the tank or any other metal tools that I use in the tank?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stainless is fine. Make sure that you did not just scrape an oil pan with it, or something that might have a lot of residue. It will just be in there for 5 minutes, so no big deal.

Bill_Moorman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can cover them with 2-part putty or kalk paste (turn the pumps off). If you do not care if they live or removing frags, you can just maul them a screwdriver and then siphon the pieces out.

This is why a lot of people have a no-monti rule.

Why is that so? I have a piece of Superman monti that just grew off the plug and is encrusting on its designated rock.

danreefman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get bone cutters and just start digging and cutting into the rock. Doesn't really matter what kind of metal. Sometimes I just use whatever I can to chop up frags. Usually some gardening sheers which rust out pretty fast after use. I just toss em. But my coral never look Ill after I put some metal in the tank for a short bit.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remove the rock from the tank, get some towels and wrap the rock the best way around the bottom, and use a fine chiesel/hammer to carefully work removing the whole thing off the rock. Get the pieces, glue them to plugs and bring them to the LFS for a credit or give/trade them with some friends! You could isolate a frag in a small rock too. Have fun!

danreefman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are beautiful for sure. Very invasive. Would be super rad if the montis would just grow up to each acro. Kinda like grass around a tree.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 28 77.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 5.6%
Back