Monty like a Python!!!

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I have this very fast growing Acro, (Green Hulk) possibly. Picture below just taken. And behind it and just an inch away is an encrusting/plating Montipora. I never picked favorites as a parent and that was always a good move. But as a hobbyist it’s a different story. The “encrusting” portion of this monti makes it very difficult to separate it from the rock work. It is slowly but surely moving in closer to a potentially sting/kill scenario with the acro. Is putting coral epoxy over a portion of the monti thus blocking light a good solution or something else. What say you? Thanks.
IMG_3736.jpeg

Last edited:

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard of an acro guy who liked montipora as a food source for his sps. Not sure if is legit, but the corals will work out the space issue. I have had monti that would overgrown stuff and I would just snap off the leading edge to keep it in check. Others use glue, calk paste, or epoxy to determine the winner in the battles.

Another trick is to wedge a coral tile in the disputed area and when it is encrusted they break the tile free and have a frag on a tile and new clear space. Add another tile and repete to keep the area in order?

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard of an acro guy who liked montipora as a food source for his sps. Not sure if is legit, but the corals will work out the space issue. I have had monti that would overgrown stuff and I would just snap off the leading edge to keep it in check. Others use glue, calk paste, or epoxy to determine the winner in the battles.

Another trick is to wedge a coral tile in the disputed area and when it is encrusted they break the tile free and have a frag on a tile and new clear space. Add another tile and repete to keep the area in order?
Interesting about a “food source”. My main concern is not waking up to a dead acro because of a turf war. Thanks for the response. Good stuff.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sometimes snap off pieces. On the rock, use a screwdriver to try and get off the encrusting end. If it doesn't come off, I use the screwdriver and rub the encrusting coral and destroy the tissue. It always heals up and starts growing again.

I guess I'm a little rough on my encrusters. LOL

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sometimes snap off pieces. On the rock, use a screwdriver to try and get off the encrusting end. If it doesn't come off, I use the screwdriver and rub the encrusting coral and destroy the tissue. It always heals up and starts growing again.

I guess I'm a little rough on my encrusters. LOL
It’s looking like that might be the overall consensus. Thanks for the feedback.

Gregg @ ADP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral can grow quickly, but not so quickly that you can’t keep encrusting corals apart.

My wife is a dental hygienist, so I use old scalers and probes she has lying around to just scrape the edges and maintain clear borders.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral can grow quickly, but not so quickly that you can’t keep encrusting corals apart.

My wife is a dental hygienist, so I use old scalers and probes she has lying around to just scrape the edges and maintain clear borders.
Thanks Gregg, so true.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back