How do you remove coraline algae in deep (30") tanks??

aquadog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you guys removing pink encrusting coraline algae that is growing at the gravel line in deep (30") acrylic aquariums? - (without leaving scratch marks). I'm currently using the Continuum pro scrapers (24" & 34") but it's not working. I also use a mag-float large & extra large with an easy blade glued on and a modified continuum blade which is worthless against this stuff! This stuff is like concrete and my arm is just not long enough!
20200424_125138.jpg

xabo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use this on my glass aquarium. May be able to rig something up to use on acrylic.

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found that if I used a Tiger Shark Outside part & the inside tank part of the Flipper with the acrylic Blade to work the best.
I've tried using all of the below scrapers with no luck at all in cleaning the coraline from my DT, ALL GOOD FOR 3/4" to 1" thick Acrylic. This included any special Items needed for remove Algae. I believe I also have an Aqueon.
Tiger Shark Float Plus
Flipper acrylic
Care Magnet by Tunze
Mag-Float
Mighty Magnet

Edit: Great White not Tiger Shark.

Last edited:

h2so4hurts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just checked & the great white is the one I am using with the Flipper scraper side.

Weird, mine seems to work pretty well for that, but those scrapers are dangerous when they trap sand under the blade.

And you probably know this already, but don't use a razor on acrylic :p

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weird, mine seems to work pretty well for that, but those scrapers are dangerous when they trap sand under the blade.

No Razor & I move about an inch of sand before I start so I don't get that close & pull it towards the scraper. Not sure why mine doesn't, I even bought new pads for it as well.

h2so4hurts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the trick is to get to it when it's brown before it turns pink. I do mine every 3-4 days. I run a big UV unit and that seems to keep the Coraline off the acrylic long enough for me to get it before it grows out enough to encrust. I know that doesn't help you right now :)

OP
OP
A

aquadog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use this on my glass aquarium. May be able to rig something up to use on acrylic.
Thanks
Thanks for the suggestion
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check it out.

OP
OP
A

aquadog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found that if I used a Tiger Shark Outside part & the inside tank part of the Flipper with the acrylic Blade to work the best.
I've tried using all of the below scrapers with no luck at all in cleaning the coraline from my DT, ALL GOOD FOR 3/4" to 1" thick Acrylic. This included any special Items needed for remove Algae. I believe I also have an Aqueon.
Tiger Shark Float Plus
Flipper acrylic
Care Magnet by Tunze
Mag-Float
Mighty Magnet

Thanks! Guess I'll start going through the list.

OP
OP
A

aquadog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes! You have to be VERY careful when using a razor on acrylic!

OP
OP
A

aquadog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tiger Shark Float Plus
Flipper acrylic
Care Magnet by Tunze
Mag-Float
Mighty Magnet

Thanks! I'll give it a try.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 161 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back