Ultrasonic transducer/scaler for coralline algae

Sushiboy225

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I recently have been trying to figure out a way to use an ultrasonic transducer to clean off year old coralline algae that is incredibly strong. Normal plastic scrapers don’t do the job and metal ones will cause scratches.

Attached is a video of a test I did using a handheld dental scaler used to remove plaque and calculus from teeth. The main goal is to remove the coralline algae without scratching acrylic viewing window or wall. It worked incredibly well, basically melting off the algae, but I am unable to submerge the unit without damaging the device.

For any engineers or tinkerers out there is there any device out there that would be submersible or any way I could modify the current device I have? I’ve found other ones like this (https://a.co/d/8ISc79B) off Amazon but looking at video reviews online it seems too powerful and may be harmful to fish currently in the system. Ideally all inhabitants of the system should be able to stay in the system while cleaning.

Thank you to all who read or answer!

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always thought this might work, if you make a box with a some kind of rubber footing, have a tube for a air pump, push the air in, this will cause a vacuum making the box sit against he aquarium wall, so there is air now around it causing the Coraline algae to die and make it easier to get rid of.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%

Back