How do you test for Alkalinity ?

myzislow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must be in the minority cause I have always used Elos for ALk and dont see myself switching. Always get consistent results. Many people complain about not being able to see the color change but I dont have that issue as my vision is amazing. Yes, amazing.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use seachem, but I am now considering getting a hanna checker. :)

Fieroguy19

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been using LaMotte Alk kit for a few years now and haven't had any problems with consistency between kits. I like the fact that they have refill kits which make it a little cheaper.

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use API for alk but yes am now considering buying a hanna b/c of this thread.

I do think the API test is consistent, not sure about its accuracy tho.

EdansClownHouse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I absolutely hate the Hanna Checker...it worked the first two times and now it will say the Alk is 16...then I retest and it says 11 then retest and it says 7.....it is absolutely the worst investment ever...DO NOT TRUST the reading! How will you ever know if the tester decides to go bad one day.

Higgy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am the nerdy type reefer. I test my alkalinity by performing an acid/base type titration; very accurate and easy to measure.

Using 100 mL sample of the aquarium water (placed in beaker on magnetic stir table, mixing) and having a pH probe placed in the beaker, I first record the pH.
Then I use a 25mL buret and slowly add 0.0200 N H2SO4 (Sulfuric Acid, very dilute) until the pH reaches 4.20.

Alkalinity = mLs of acid x 10 (this will be in ppm, ALK) So if I use 15.6 mLs then my ALK is 156 ppm.

I know this seems a bit involved, but it's quick once you are set up, and extremely accurate. (Also, I'm color blind; so reading the pH works well for me!)

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is awesome Higgy. I wanna be a nerd like you!

Typed from my phone, because I have nothing better to do.

chort55

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't test it because nothing is accurate and I don't like to waste my time or money. Heck Ive only checked salinity twice and thats just because a friend wanted to see what it was and brought his refractometer over 2 different times over a 2 yr period..... 1.024 each time lol.

Have I lost stuff, yes.... have I lost stuff because my water was bad, doubt it. I did just have a skimmer pump fry and wipe out all my sps in my 180... guess I should of tested huh? lol

myzislow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't test it because nothing is accurate and I don't like to waste my time or money. Heck Ive only checked salinity twice and thats just because a friend wanted to see what it was and brought his refractometer over 2 different times over a 2 yr period..... 1.024 each time lol.

Have I lost stuff, yes.... have I lost stuff because my water was bad, doubt it. I did just have a skimmer pump fry and wipe out all my sps in my 180... guess I should of tested huh? lol
lol ok bud

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back