How do you vent your stand?

  • Thread starter Thread starter glb
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
May 12, 2013
Messages
8,185
Reaction score
3,302
Location
Miami
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm building a stand now and think it will need some ventilation. I've read the threads I could find here and have a few questions. I see that computer fans are common. For a 40g stand, would 2 in the back work? The heat under the stand would be from the return pump and the refugium light (hopefully led, I'm just planning now) Also, should one blow in while the other blows out? Finally, is there a bigger fan that would be better? Thanks in advance for your help!
 
Two thing I don't like with computer fans, 1. you need to power them with a DC power supply and 2. size most are small and some are limited in CFM.

I run 115v AC cooling fan, they are plug and play no dc PC fan wiring needed.

This types:
AC-Infinity-LS1225A-X-Standard-Cooling-Fan-115V-AC-120mm-by-120mm-by-25mm-Low-Speed-0-0.jpg


In an enclosed stand and canopy it's a good idea to keep air moving in and out, it help remove humidity aiding in mold (sticky smell) and CO2 exchange helping to raise PH a bit. This is limited by how air tight you home is also but every little bit helps!
 
I don't have a heat problem so I don't use any kind of mechanical aide to vent. The back of my stand is open to the room. I think most people who use fans set them to blow across the sump to aide in cooling by evaporation.
 
I recently got a cheap personal desk top fan at goodwill for 2 bucks to draw air out. Have a curtain front so not air tight allowing airflow. Now just gotta get to drilling hole for fan and hang it.
 
Thanks everyone. I love the plug and play fan.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 15 39.5%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 7.9%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 13.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 7.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new