How does my aquascape look?

the_reef_keeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting up a nano reef. Should I glue the rocks together, and is it ok to use a dried rock from an old tank?General feedback?
IMG_0241.jpg

Thanks

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt glue the rocks but you could use some epoxy. Also old rock from another tank that is dried will need to be cured as the dead stuff will create ammonia and phosphate in the tank. Most people do this in a bin or something with a heater and pump (and bacteria if you want to speed it up).

I do like the shape though. Anytime you can place rocks away from the back wall you get more flow

OP
OP
the_reef_keeper

the_reef_keeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt glue the rocks but you could use some epoxy. Also old rock from another tank that is dried will need to be cured as the dead stuff will create ammonia and phosphate in the tank. Most people do this in a bin or something with a heater and pump (and bacteria if you want to speed it up).

I do like the shape though. Anytime you can place rocks away from the back wall you get more flow
Can I just cure it in the tank? I'm not planning on putting anything in for a while, and I already scrubbed the rocks before.

OP
OP
the_reef_keeper

the_reef_keeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can, just dont let any lights in and dont put the sand in. You may wanna run carbon though as it will stink
The rock is mostly dead, it wasn't like dead live rock, it was dead rock added to a previous tank for like 2 months. Do I still treat it like dead live rock?

divewsharks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rock is mostly dead, it wasn't like dead live rock, it was dead rock added to a previous tank for like 2 months. Do I still treat it like dead live rock?
I think what is meant is that life at one time lived deep in the rock from the other tank. This means once you add water, what was decomposing will re-hydrate and then start/finish decomposing.
This should likely start your cycle (which is good) keep your lights off as to not encourage algae growth. Add utilitarian fish to attack it as it initially grows.

OP
OP
the_reef_keeper

the_reef_keeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think what is meant is that life at one time lived deep in the rock from the other tank. This means once you add water, what was decomposing will re-hydrate and then start/finish decomposing.
This should likely start your cycle (which is good) keep your lights off as to not encourage algae growth. Add utilitarian fish to attack it as it initially grows.
When would I add live sand?

One More And I’m Out. Is Failure An Option?

• Yes

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • No

Votes: 29 78.4%
  • Unsure

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back