First Attempt at Aquascaping

djm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys

I’m currently setting up my D-D ReefPro 900 and attempting my first aquascape using the D-D Aquascape Natural Aquarium Rock.

I’ve used a cardboard cut out as the dimensions of the tank to lay out the rock.

Do you guys have any feedback or tips to what I’ve put together in the attached pictures?

Thanks
IMG_4324.jpeg
IMG_4325.jpeg
IMG_4326.jpeg
IMG_4327.jpeg

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vary heights/less symmetry.

OP
OP
djm

djm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do like the rocks that are separated from the main scape!
Thanks. I have a fluval evo at the moment which has an anemone which hosts 2 clowns, I ideally would like the anemone to stay on one of those islands….. easier said then done I know.

Tidal Gardens

Coral Farm
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my recommendation, the rock looks like it comes very close to the front glass. I would remove the front rock close to the glass and then form a cave on that side. It will help with flow and more places for the fish to swim under.

IMG_4330.jpeg

Dmmz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the part that takes me the longest when doing a new tank build just make sure you like it since you will be the one looking at it for a long time hopefully

Sod Buster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Andre Silvestre wrote a very nice aquascape article many years ago now. It still is probably online. It covered developing visual depth, different heights to promote flow, and blends for natural appearance. He was a real artist and photographer I think from Portugal. He took ideas from the planted tanks in Japan that appear to be landscape scenes. It is your tank, so what looks nice for you is final. Keep powerhead flow in mind, nooks for hide holes, ease of cleaning. One pic is his, one pic is mine, and the cool pic w/ the overhang fish in the shade I can't remember who's, maybe someone knows. All over 10 years old.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240313_130508_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240313_130508_Gallery.jpg
    426.8 KB · Views: 48
  • Screenshot_20240313_130605_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240313_130605_Gallery.jpg
    478.4 KB · Views: 47
  • Screenshot_20240313_130934_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240313_130934_Gallery.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 45

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My general priorities on aquascaping:

1) Inhabitants need to like it..
2) You need to like it.
3) Everyone else needs to like it.
4) If you have a significant other, squeeze them between 1 & 2.

That said, it looks like you're on the right track. Hard to say for sure, but I see mostly caves and tunnels, without many tight cracks and crevices. Many fish prefer such places to sleep/hide in. I've got a few fish that sleep in spots that make me wonder how they even managed to squeeze in.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion is your prime lighting is in the center and you have no rock there only across the back.. I don’t really care what my rock looks like I just need space for my corals to cover it all and have good flow! Ascetic's of rock don’t matter much to me.. lol

OP
OP
djm

djm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my recommendation, the rock looks like it comes very close to the front glass. I would remove the front rock close to the glass and then form a cave on that side. It will help with flow and more places for the fish to swim under.

IMG_4330.jpeg

I really like the idea of creating another arch on the side. I’ve placed the rock in the tank and attempted to create the arch
IMG_4335.jpeg
IMG_4333.jpeg
IMG_4332.jpeg

Sod Buster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Straight vertical walls are hard to find room for coral colors. Fish tank or reef tank? Rock mounds, not walls for a reef tank. The left side is pretty sheer like a granite cliff. You don't have to use all the rock you've bought & can even break some bigs into small chunks for fill. The big boy on the right bottom, move that to the left wall in front. Use the small one upper right to taper the arch down to the glass.
Screenshot_20240313_150736_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
djm

djm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Straight vertical walls are hard to find room for coral colors. Fish tank or reef tank? Rock mounds, not walls for a reef tank. The left side is pretty sheer like a granite cliff. You don't have to use all the rock you've bought & can even break some bigs into small chunks for fill. The big boy on the right bottom, move that to the left wall in front. Use the small one upper right to taper the arch down to the glass.
Screenshot_20240313_150736_Chrome.jpg

Thanks for the advice, I’ve tweaked it a little.
IMG_4337.jpeg
IMG_4336.jpeg
IMG_4338.jpeg

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My suggestion is to turn on your light to see where your shadows are. As people looking at the front (mostly) of the tank, we concentrate on what that looks like, but from a coral perspective, top down (light and shadow) is the most important. The light will act more like a spot light of sorts, so it'll look a lot different than it does just looking at it in a well lit room.

Think about what you plan to keep in there (shadowed, lower light or direct, higher light), what sort of flow it likes, how you plan to mount it and then adjust accordingly.

I like the flow of the rocks you've got going, though. It's looking pretty good.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back