How does neptune apex handle power outages/wifi issues?

Nubbie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm strongly considering getting a neptune apex for my next build and was hoping some people more knowledgeable about this device could clarify a few things for me. My main reason for getting this would be to have a central "brain" to help run the tank, notifications when things go wrong, and peace of mind when I'm traveling and away from my tank. My current plan is to buy the package that comes with 4 probes as well as the ATK kit. Initial basic functions that I want to set up is heater controller backup, ATO, and leak warnings.

With that said, I'm a little concerned on how the device handles power outages/wifi issues. I apologize in advance if these are ignorant questions, but I'm still the in the research stage for this device.

- What happens if the power goes out? Is apex able to come back on by itself and resume where it left off? Does the time of power outage matter (2 seconds vs 15 minutes)?

- If the power goes out, does apex 'reset' kind of like how most electronics work? Basically, does the timer for my lights/pumps get thrown off or is it able to 'know' what time it is and resume where it left off?

- If the power does go out, my wifi will also go out. Will apex be able to re-connect back to my wifi network once it's back up without issues?

- If just my wifi goes out for whatever reason, is the apex no longer functional? i.e. lights plugged in no longer working, pumps no longer working, ATO off, etc? Does it require wifi to do basic functions? I understand I won't be able to get updates if the wifi is down, but does the actual controller still control all the devices attached to it.

My power rarely goes out my wifi is also very stable. I have a pretty high end router attached to a 1gb line. However, I just wanted to play out all the worst case scenarios and understand what the controller is capable of doing, what it isn't capable of doing, and the limitations. Thanks in advance!

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For starters. The Apex does not need the internet to function. It has its own processor. That should answer one of the big issues you have.
The Apex does not lose its settings if you have a power outage. When power comes back on it will resume its normal control of everything and should reconnect to the internet (new model)

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the power goes out then when the power comes back on the Apex will automatically reboot and pick up where it left off. It won’t lose it’s settings, time etc. If it was programmed to do something whilst it was in the power outage (e.g. run a DOS, run the PMUP for the ATK) then it won’t ‘catch up’ and will skip that action, but it will continue to run everything you have programmed from the time it reboots.

If it loses access to your Wifi for whatever reason it will generally reconnect automatically. Whilst it is off your Wifi it will continue running it’s programming, all that will happen is that it will not be connected to Apex Fusion and visible/controllable from there.

Apex Fusion can be configured to alert you when your Apex disconnects from it for any reason, e.g. a power outage.

You can also power the Apex from a UPS and by connecting the 12v power supply to the mains allow the Apex to detect the power outage and take different actions. This is how I have my tank and Apex setup. In a power outage the UPS continues to run the Apex, pumps and skimmer. After 30 mins of an outage it changes to a ‘keep-alive’ mode, only running the pumps and skimmer intermittently to extend the UPS battery life.

Dal-Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For starters. The Apex does not need the internet to function. It has its own processor. That should answer one of the big issues you have.
The Apex does not lose its settings if you have a power outage. When power comes back on it will resume its normal control of everything and should reconnect to the internet (new model)
How do you know its the new model when shopping around

link81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you know its the new model when shopping around

the new models are silver and orange plastic with the 832 energy bar. they have wifi built in.
the older ones are hardwire ethernet only, and use a black metal power bar. Usually labeled "classic or Jr or Gold or Lite" The older ones are not for sale new anymore, only the APEX and APEXEL are.

Dal-Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the new models are silver and orange plastic with the 832 energy bar. they have wifi built in.
the older ones are hardwire ethernet only, and use a black metal power bar. Usually labeled "classic or Jr or Gold or Lite" The older ones are not for sale new anymore, only the APEX and APEXEL are.

Good info thanks

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 26.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 36.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back