How does the science work with bacteria instructions

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do the instructions for bacteria products like Brightwell MB7 or CLEAN say to mix the liquid from the bottle in a cup with aquarium water first? I typically just dose right into the display and skip this step. Is the bacteria activating or something in the cup with tank water before being dumped into the tank? If so, why is that different than just dosing directly from the bottle into the display?

OP
OP
ryshark

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That
I think that it will disburse better if mixed in water so that it will spread throughout the tank quicker.
That would make more sense to me if the product was a powder.

With a liquid product, I could see it helping a little, in a low flow tank.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do the instructions for bacteria products like Brightwell MB7 or CLEAN say to mix the liquid from the bottle in a cup with aquarium water first? I typically just dose right into the display and skip this step. Is the bacteria activating or something in the cup with tank water before being dumped into the tank? If so, why is that different than just dosing directly from the bottle into the display?
Good question. What happens if you add the entire dose to a little bit of aquarium water? Does it become cloudy? Make a drastic change to the pH?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess too is the dispersement. The bacteria may be in clumps in the bottle and breaking up the clumps may allow seeding of more locations.

FWIW, a clump of bacteria need not be large enough to see by eye to contain multiple bacteria.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back