How does xenia coral grow.

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought a decent amount of Xenia coral to fill up my tank. I currentlt have a kenya tree which i see drop branches from time to time but how does xenia grow? Like just in size or does it encrust onto rocks or something?

Mogwai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought a decent amount of Xenia coral to fill up my tank. I currentlt have a kenya tree which i see drop branches from time to time but how does xenia grow? Like just in size or does it encrust onto rocks or something?
It will definitely grow out of control if you let it. I'd keep it away from other live rock so that you still have rocks left to place other corals.

OP
OP
Kapachuka3

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will definitely grow out of control if you let it. I'd keep it away from other live rock so that you still have rocks left to place other corals.
What im trying to do is actually have a tank of kenyas and xenia, i want a forest of coral tanks

OP
OP
Kapachuka3

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3BB964DE-90DD-4469-BDC6-E60FAE791EE0.jpeg

This is it so far, I just got it from the store a couple days ago and i might be mistaken but it was wayy smaller when i bought it. I hope it grows like crazy and takes over my tank.

OP
OP
Kapachuka3

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3BB964DE-90DD-4469-BDC6-E60FAE791EE0.jpeg

This is it so far, I just got it from the store a couple days ago and i might be mistaken but it was wayy smaller when i bought it. I hope it grows like crazy and takes over my tank.
it looks like its grown since this picture was taken.

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually, the larger base stalks split off from one another when enough polyps form. You can sort of see it in your photo. The new stalk will "move" a centimeter or so away. Sometimes the colony will drop polyps or small stalks off, which drift about until they stick to a surface.

OP
OP
Kapachuka3

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually, the larger base stalks split off from one another when enough polyps form. You can sort of see it in your photo. The new stalk will "move" a centimeter or so away. Sometimes the colony will drop polyps or small stalks off, which drift about until they stick to a surface.
Sounds awesome, cant wait to have a whole tank full of this stuff, so i don’t have to stop my urchin from eating it.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Xenia grows quickly

Though it sorta grows like a zoa, buds off onto the rockwork. Also let's portions into the water column to colonize new rocks. Hope you like xenia, because you're never getting it out of the system. It's also probably going to take over the entire tank. You've been warned

FisheRare

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with one Kenya tree now i have 4

OP
OP
Kapachuka3

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Xenia grows quickly

Though it sorta grows like a zoa, buds off onto the rockwork. Also let's portions into the water column to colonize new rocks. Hope you like xenia, because you're never getting it out of the system. It's also probably going to take over the entire tank. You've been warned
thats what im hopint for.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Mine walk across rocks

Ghostweim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one coral that I cannot grow. I had a decent frag and it just keeps dwindling away. My kenya tree, on the other hand, is HUGE!

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This is one coral that I cannot grow. I had a decent frag and it just keeps dwindling away. My kenya tree, on the other hand, is HUGE!
Really? That's surprising mine grows new stalks daily. They don't like high flow and obviously they love dirty water. I keep mine in a low flow area.

Rugops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? That's surprising mine grows new stalks daily. They don't like high flow and obviously they love dirty water. I keep mine in a low flow area.
They don't like high flow but they will grow in high flow.

May 4th
20230504_124417 (1).jpg

August 8
20230808_144419.jpg

Edit: I don't have a current photo yet as they all are closed now and I wanted to say my tank used to be ugly.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 154 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%
Back