How effective is rowaphos at removing aluminium?

Ollie05H

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently been struggling with my euphyllia receding and dying. As a result I did an ICP which showed high levels of aluminium (137.85μg/l). My assumption is that this is from the marinepure balls in the sump. Over a week or 2 I did 3 x 20-30% changes and ran some rowaphos. This brought it down to 88.77μg/l. I was hoping for it to bring it down a bit more since I’ve heard people saying a small bag brought theirs down massively.
How efficient actually is it? And what is the easiest / best way to bring it down.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the aluminum is present as colloidal (very small) particulates, none of the usual media will likely bind it. Free aluminum ions or aluminum ions bound to organics may bind to some media.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have recently been struggling with my euphyllia receding and dying. As a result I did an ICP which showed high levels of aluminium (137.85μg/l). My assumption is that this is from the marinepure balls in the sump. Over a week or 2 I did 3 x 20-30% changes and ran some rowaphos. This brought it down to 88.77μg/l. I was hoping for it to bring it down a bit more since I’ve heard people saying a small bag brought theirs down massively.
How efficient actually is it? And what is the easiest / best way to bring it down.
I believe the water changes are what brought your alluminum levels down not the rowa as it can't bind to it as Randy said.

To remove alluminum specifically we had to get metasorb.

OP
OP
Ollie05H

Ollie05H

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the aluminum is present as colloidal (very small) particulates, none of the usual media will likely bind it. Free aluminum ions or aluminum ions bound to organics may bind to some media.
Is there a way to find out whether it is small particulates or if it is dissolved in the water? And is it still an issue in both cases?

OP
OP
Ollie05H

Ollie05H

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the water changes are what brought your alluminum levels down not the rowa as it can't bind to it as Randy said.

To remove alluminum specifically we had to get metasorb.
Would it be worth while using some metasorb? I have put a poly filter in which claimed to turn red after absorbing aluminium but has just gone brown

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is there a way to find out whether it is small particulates or if it is dissolved in the water? And is it still an issue in both cases?
Randy will definitely give the correct analytical answer :)

When we were setting up our new filtration system for our well we ran into collodial iron.

Collodial partials do not show up on a tds meter because they are "in process".

To get the colloidal iron out we had to use a chlorine injection system like cities do. You could use many .5 micron filters in sequence and then a carbon block but the injection system was more practical for our house.

Then we had to clean the chlorine out with a huge carbon filter.

Would it be worth while using some metasorb? I have put a poly filter in which claimed to turn red after absorbing aluminium but has just gone brown
I used them both at the same time.

I ran the large metasorb pouch for 48hrs in our 220.

Definitely send an icp off after the initial usage.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes, but it's not a DIY thing.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Makes me wonder how many reefers get bit by collodial particles as they get by tds meters.

OP
OP
Ollie05H

Ollie05H

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy will definitely give the correct analytical answer :)

When we were setting up our new filtration system for our well we ran into collodial iron.

Collodial partials do not show up on a tds meter because they are "in process".

To get the colloidal iron out we had to use a chlorine injection system like cities do. You could use many .5 micron filters in sequence and then a carbon block but the injection system was more practical for our house.

Then we had to clean the chlorine out with a huge carbon filter.

I used them both at the same time.

I ran the large metasorb pouch for 48hrs in our 220.

Definitely send an icp off after the initial usage.
I have done an icp on the ro water I use and it showed nothing. I think it’s from the marine pure balls.
If I do remove it, will the marine pure balls keep leaching it or will they stop?

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have done an icp on the ro water I use and it showed nothing. I think it’s from the marine pure balls.
If I do remove it, will the marine pure balls keep leaching it or will they stop?
If it is them, they will unfortunately continue. Some reefers have good luck with them and some get high alluminum reading like you do.

I'd personally take them out if they are leaching.

OP
OP
Ollie05H

Ollie05H

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I recall marinepure claiming that the aluminium from their balls are just particulates and do not impact the inhabitants but I’m not sure what else my problem could be with the euphyllia

OP
OP
Ollie05H

Ollie05H

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is them, they will unfortunately continue. Some reefers have good luck with them and some get high alluminum reading like you do.

I'd personally take them out if they are leaching.
I have thought about taking them out but worry if it would have a negative impact on the tank because of the lost bacteria. I don’t have much rock in the tank. How would I take them out to minimise any impact?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 15.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 66 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.9%
Back