Plastic container for ato

xmjxflipx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley i use w food grade bpa free pet food container to hold my rodi. I did an oceamo icp test and it brought up antimony at 7.5 micrograms. First, what can be used to remove antimony from the reef as far as media or product and second is, so you think thr antimony is being leeched from the plaatic food grade container as i have heard rodi that is exposed to some air becomes acidic and i assume maybe it has broken down after using it as an rodi container for over 6 months. Its not fully sealed and has a small opening in the front for thr wires and the ato tubing.

If plastics were a concern i was wondering how come reefers. Use those huge hdpe towers to store and mix saltwater. I assume maybe because its enclosed and not open to air?

Any suggestions such as not using ato and using acrylic and glass and chunking thr plastic? Lol

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley i use w food grade bpa free pet food container to hold my rodi. I did an oceamo icp test and it brought up antimony at 7.5 micrograms. First, what can be used to remove antimony from the reef as far as media or product and second is, so you think thr antimony is being leeched from the plaatic food grade container as i have heard rodi that is exposed to some air becomes acidic and i assume maybe it has broken down after using it as an rodi container for over 6 months. Its not fully sealed and has a small opening in the front for thr wires and the ato tubing.

If plastics were a concern i was wondering how come reefers. Use those huge hdpe towers to store and mix saltwater. I assume maybe because its enclosed and not open to air?

Any suggestions such as not using ato and using acrylic and glass and chunking thr plastic? Lol
I just use a 5g home depot bucket.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know where antimony might be coming from. I’m also not sure 7 ppb is an any concern. The values I see needed for toxicity are far higher:

dr_vinnie_boombatz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You store your RODI water for 6 months!?

I found this: https://www.faunamarin.de/en/knowledge-base/antimony/
Removal: Partial water change, removal of decoration, filtration via Powerphos, Phos 0.04, Zeolite
The metalloid antimony gets into the aquarium water via unclean plastic packaging and inferior PVC parts (piping) and can be removed from the water with our Phos 0.04. A value up to 10 µg/l(0,26 US.liq.gal.) is tolerated in the aquarium; as for many metals, this is also the limit value in drinking water. Antimony is also found in some frozen food. Therefore these would also have to be checked if the measured values are too high.
I store my RODI in Hedpak HDPE container & ATO in Rubbermaid 1g pitcher. ICP has not shown elevated antimony.

Best of luck!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 52 74.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back