What does Leaf Plate Montipora look like under white light?

PolypPocket

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 25, 2026
Messages
606
Reaction score
767
Location
Minnesota
What state or country do you live in
Minnesota
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking at adding it to my macro tank but I keep the tank under white light primarily and all the photos of plate montis I see online is under some sort of blue lighting. Can anyone share some photos?

Any color
 
Google search says leaf plate monti is the same as monticap. If that's the case mine are pretty much all brown under just white ligts. I have green and orange. I'll see if I can get a couple of pics here in a few.

EDIT: sorry tank lights are already on so no pics since blues are on
 
I’m looking at adding it to my macro tank but I keep the tank under white light primarily and all the photos of plate montis I see online is under some sort of blue lighting. Can anyone share some photos?

Any color
I have 2 plate monticaps. One is primarily orange and the other is a nice green but with a lot of texture. My lights are also on the whiter side but with blue spectrum too. Here are some pics and they look even nicer as the white diodes get more intensity.
20260731_110712.jpg
20260731_110703.jpg
 
I’m looking at adding it to my macro tank but I keep the tank under white light primarily and all the photos of plate montis I see online is under some sort of blue lighting. Can anyone share some photos?

Any color
I have 2 plate monticaps. One is primarily orange and the other is a nice green but with a lot of texture. My lights are also on the whiter side but with blue spectrum too. Here are some pics and they look even nicer as the white diodes get more intensity.
20260731_110712.jpg
20260731_110703.jpg
Thanks this is super helpful! They look great 😊
 
Looks a little better with a mix, I run mine at 60% white and 100% blue but it still looks white. But maybe it will still look good idk haha
 
Looks a little better with a mix, I run mine at 60% white and 100% blue but it still looks white. But maybe it will still look good idk haha
Ah. I was thinking all white. That's a good mix for everything to look good but natural I think. I run a mix similar on most tanks with some heavy evening blue over my SPS tank.
 
Looks a little better with a mix, I run mine at 60% white and 100% blue but it still looks white. But maybe it will still look good idk haha
Ah. I was thinking all white. That's a good mix for everything to look good but natural I think. I run a mix similar on most tanks with some heavy evening blue over my SPS tank.
I start out only blue early in the morning. Then as the day progresses I add more colors but both blue and white are increasing with more intensity until about 1 pm to 4 pm blues and whites are in the 60% and 80% respectively with red, and green in the 20/30%. After 4pm I begin ramping back down until around 9pm its just blue again. Its as close to simulating a summer day as I could.
 
Looks a little better with a mix, I run mine at 60% white and 100% blue but it still looks white. But maybe it will still look good idk haha
Ah. I was thinking all white. That's a good mix for everything to look good but natural I think. I run a mix similar on most tanks with some heavy evening blue over my SPS tank.
I start out only blue early in the morning. Then as the day progresses I add more colors but both blue and white are increasing with more intensity until about 1 pm to 4 pm blues and whites are in the 60% and 80% respectively with red, and green in the 20/30%. After 4pm I begin ramping back down until around 9pm its just blue again. Its as close to simulating a summer day as I could.
It sounds perfect to me. I do add a bit of red and violet during the day as well which gives it a slightly pinkish tone, and for an hour or so in the evening it’s pure blue which is when I get to see the fluorescence of some of my corals. But I have so many red macros that I keep it daylight white looking for most of the day.

So like a zoa, for example, would look pretty dull under that lighting (I don’t keep any in there but just giving an example of something that isn’t usually super impressive under white light). That’s why I wondered if plate montis would keep some color or just look brown.
 
Looks a little better with a mix, I run mine at 60% white and 100% blue but it still looks white. But maybe it will still look good idk haha
Ah. I was thinking all white. That's a good mix for everything to look good but natural I think. I run a mix similar on most tanks with some heavy evening blue over my SPS tank.
Same I do blue only at night before the lights go out but it’s white looking for most of the day.
 
It sounds perfect to me. I do add a bit of red and violet during the day as well which gives it a slightly pinkish tone, and for an hour or so in the evening it’s pure blue which is when I get to see the fluorescence of some of my corals. But I have so many red macros that I keep it daylight white looking for most of the day.

So like a zoa, for example, would look pretty dull under that lighting (I don’t keep any in there but just giving an example of something that isn’t usually super impressive under white light). That’s why I wondered if plate montis would keep some color or just look brown.
My tank is so fluorescent in the early morning. I enjoy my coffee right across from the tank at that time. My zoas/palys also are not as pretty when the lights are at peak daylight but they still have color. I have a Lg green toadstool, a war coral, 2 different color trumpets and a pectinia that have nice color under the white lights. I also have some euphillia that have ok color but wonderful movement along with a feather duster garden for movement. I also used to have that punch of red color from macros but for whatever reason my red macros died when I transferred them into this 75g last September. There are tiny remnants so I keep hoping that they will take off as the gracilaria hayi was a prolific grower in my 56g tank. It probably does not help that I have a foxface in this tank. Spike loves his salads!
 
It sounds perfect to me. I do add a bit of red and violet during the day as well which gives it a slightly pinkish tone, and for an hour or so in the evening it’s pure blue which is when I get to see the fluorescence of some of my corals. But I have so many red macros that I keep it daylight white looking for most of the day.

So like a zoa, for example, would look pretty dull under that lighting (I don’t keep any in there but just giving an example of something that isn’t usually super impressive under white light). That’s why I wondered if plate montis would keep some color or just look brown.
My tank is so fluorescent in the early morning. I enjoy my coffee right across from the tank at that time. My zoas/palys also are not as pretty when the lights are at peak daylight but they still have color. I have a Lg green toadstool, a war coral, 2 different color trumpets and a pectinia that have nice color under the white lights. I also have some euphillia that have ok color but wonderful movement along with a feather duster garden for movement. I also used to have that punch of red color from macros but for whatever reason my red macros died when I transferred them into this 75g last September. There are tiny remnants so I keep hoping that they will take off as the gracilaria hayi was a prolific grower in my 56g tank. It probably does not help that I have a foxface in this tank. Spike loves his salads!
He’s gotta stay healthy 🥗
 
Do you dose Cheatgro or any additives, or just water changes for trace minerals. My 56g used a lot of iron and I dosed magnesium on occasion. Later on I began using Cheatogro because it had iodine which is very tricky to dose and test. I figured the Cheatgro had the trace minerals in a proper balance.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 3 4.5%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 26.9%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 28.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 9 13.4%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 6.0%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 10.4%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 6.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new