How established for an urchin and which do you prefer?

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I want to get an urchin because I think they're absolutely fantastic. I may or may not have gotten into this hobby because of the corals and inverts. I will feed it algae as needed in the form of nori or whatever is recommended. I'm thinking a tuxedo or pincushion would be best. I know to avoid the long spine ones. My tank isn't exactly long established, it's well past it's cycle, but I'm still struggling somewhat to keep my phosphates in order but I'm getting there. Phosphate high, nitrate 0.

Would this be harmful to an urchin? Are there any fish/inverts that have compatibility issues with them?

I have a 75 gallon tank, with a 40b sump. 75 actual gallons of water.
I have
1 / 2 cleaner shrimp,
1 blood fire shrimp,
1 peppermint shrimp,
1 candy pistol shrimp,
1 fighting conch,
1 Halloween hermit crab
- assorted snails and hermit crabs from ReefCleaners

On the skunk cleaner shrimps, I actually have 3, one in my 75, it's a big one. And two small ones in my frag tank. I had planned to put one of the small ones in the big tank but I'm not sure if it would go over well or not because of it's size.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inverts are always great additions. Careful on the skunk cleaners all together. Some will not tolerate it. Others have luck with multiples.

As far as the urchin, it will need a mature tank with lots to eat and graze. Algae of many kinds. Do not rush this or your urchin will die. Some do not take to nori strips. If you do feed nori, tie on a rock with rubber band so urchin can crawl over and eat.

In that tank I would go tuxedo (red being my preferred - a bit harder to find) or a varigated because they stay smaller and are captive bred by ora.

Have fun stocking!

OP
OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inverts are always great additions. Careful on the skunk cleaners all together. Some will not tolerate it. Others have luck with multiples.

As far as the urchin, it will need a mature tank with lots to eat and graze. Algae of many kinds. Do not rush this or your urchin will die. Some do not take to nori strips. If you do feed nori, tie on a rock with rubber band so urchin can crawl over and eat.

In that tank I would go tuxedo (red being my preferred - a bit harder to find) or a varigated because they stay smaller and are captive bred by ora.

Have fun stocking!
Thanks for the advice, I will wait for things to settle. I certainly do not have an absence of algae, but I do have a bryopsis problem that needs to be treated so I will wait until after at the very least. I'm glad to hear there's a captive bred urchin!

I should have been clearer with the info regarding the skunk cleaners, I had purchased my original one and it's in my 75. Then I set up a frag tank/invert QT and I really wanted to get another shrimp to go in there. LFS was having a sale on them, and I got two. I figured that one would stay in the frag tank, and one would go into the DT leaving it with two in the DT and one in the frag tank. I'd read that as long as there wasn't more than two they should be okay.
I'll certainly do more research on that. Maybe I'll just have to keep both of the small ones in the frag QT to avoid a tiny one being bothered by the big one.

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should have good coralline growth before getting an urchin. I have two and love them both. My tuxedo is better "behaved" but I see her less. My pincushion (came in as a hitchhiker) is the one that moves corals and leaves white areas on my rocks where she takes off the surface layer. She's bigger so I see her more.

I have both in a 55 display and they are both looking good. They both produce eggs periodically- free food.

DieHardPhotog-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should have good coralline growth before getting an urchin. I have two and love them both. My tuxedo is better "behaved" but I see her less. My pincushion (came in as a hitchhiker) is the one that moves corals and leaves white areas on my rocks where she takes off the surface layer. She's bigger so I see her more.

I have both in a 55 display and they are both looking good. They both produce eggs periodically- free food.
Thanks for that feedback. We have 2 pincushion urchins in a 90 gal DT. I didn't know what those little white beads were constantly rolling off the urchins but I guess those are eggs based on your comment above. And yes, they'll clean an area of a rock so white that it looks like it's new dry rock!

maevepotter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for that feedback. We have 2 pincushion urchins in a 90 gal DT. I didn't know what those little white beads were constantly rolling off the urchins but I guess those are eggs based on your comment above. And yes, they'll clean an area of a rock so white that it looks like it's new dry rock!
How long does it take the coraline to come back? Is an urchin a bad idea for a 29g?

DieHardPhotog-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long does it take the coraline to come back? Is an urchin a bad idea for a 29g?
Unfortunately, I can't answer that. We didn't have much growing to begin with. Our tank is still fairly new with only a little coraline algae growing along the back wall and the overflow.

We added urchins to get rid of hair algae and they did a wonderful job at that. Now that our phosphate count is lower, they don't have as much to eat. We keep dropping mini algae wafers and keep a small strip of nori in the tank.

OP
OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Good to know, I found your post from a while back about all of your urchin friends. I'll make sure that I've got plenty to munch on before I get any urchins

OP
OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my pincushion because he grabs random things and carts them around the tank. frag plugs, zoa colonies, he had an algae clip on his back for like a week! LOL
That sounds absolutely fantastic. I love all of the quirks of different tank dwellers. Now does he just happen to stumble upon things that stick to him, or does he intentionally collect these things? Honestly I'm not sure which option is more amusing.

ncaldwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will rip off frags. My Halloween tuxedo is stronger than superglue, and stronger than snails. I think he might think that I put the frags in there on accident and tries to bring it back to the top of the tank for me.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a little green nepthea ride on the back of an urchin for three months. Grew three times as large too. Very funny creatures. They pick them up to use as camo. So, if you have loose frags they will be taken. Be aware.

maevepotter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is hilarious
I had a little green nepthea ride on the back of an urchin for three months. Grew three times as large too. Very funny creatures. They pick them up to use as camo. So, if you have loose frags they will be taken. Be aware.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I had a picture of it, but I only can find this one. This one it has some zoas and a snail.
DSC_0021.JPG

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 98 80.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.9%
Back