How fast and I'm what order can I reintroduce new fish?

Benoit Martin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some advice from experienced folks here to help me repopulate my tank that was decimated by velvet.

I had posted here previously but got no answers so I'm hoping that phrasing my question differently will help.

So, in my 1 year old 120G FOWLR tank with a 40G sump, I have 3 fish left after losing 5 to velvet about a month ago.
The fish left are:
- 1 ocilaris clown (it was the male)
- 1 azure damsel
- 1 diamond goby

I also have a red hermit, a cleaner shrimp and a few snails.

I would like to minimize the number of QT rounds I'll have to do without putting the fish and DT at risk unnecessarily.

So, in what order should I had the following fish and how many at a time?

- 1 royal Gramma
- 1 fire fish
- 1 ocilaris clown (smallest possible hoping he would pair with the one I have)
- 1 banggai cardinal
- 1 Ruby Longfin Fairy Wrasse
- 1 yellow Tang
- 1 flame angel

Please help me balance my impatience and the health of my tank and fish

Thank you

JayKim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that damsel might get aggressive.
fire fish, clown, and cardinal first. wrasse and gramma second. tang and angel last. 2 weeks to a month in between.

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello B and sorry for your encounter with the deadly velvet and losses to date. Before we start with stocking order, please do let me know what has been done to ensure your tank and fish are rid of velvet, Have the fish been under copper treatment for 30 days? If you are using the fish less method for display tank, would suggest you wait 6 weeks vs 4.....

shookONES

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My main concern would be peace of mind knowing my display was velvet-free. Tangs seem to be a magnet for it, so I’d add the YT first and see how he responds for a week or two before adding anything else.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My main concern would be peace of mind knowing my display was velvet-free. Tangs seem to be a magnet for it, so I’d add the YT first and see how he responds for a week or two before adding anything else.

I would disagree simply because Yellow Tangs are prone to aggression and may easily bully late additions. When adding one I always recommend adding it near last and having a fish in there that can help keep it's attitude in check.

OP
OP
Benoit Martin

Benoit Martin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that damsel might get aggressive.
fire fish, clown, and cardinal first. wrasse and gramma second. tang and angel last. 2 weeks to a month in between.
Thank you Jay for the info

OP
OP
Benoit Martin

Benoit Martin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello B and sorry for your encounter with the deadly velvet and losses to date. Before we start with stocking order, please do let me know what has been done to ensure your tank and fish are rid of velvet, Have the fish been under copper treatment for 30 days? If you are using the fish less method for display tank, would suggest you wait 6 weeks vs 4.....
I have a separate thread asking about that: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/is-it-safe-to-start-adding-fish-after-velvet-outbreak.700175/
In a nutshell, I did not do anything as I had assumed it was gone since the remaining fish are fine.

I'd rather not add copper to my DT so I'll strongly consider doing the fishless for 6 weeks approach you are suggesting

OP
OP
Benoit Martin

Benoit Martin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would disagree simply because Yellow Tangs are prone to aggression and may easily bully late additions. When adding one I always recommend adding it near last and having a fish in there that can help keep it's attitude in check.

Thank you both. I had read before that tangs should be last or close to last so I'll stick with this and find other ways to get rid of the illness

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 25.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back