How frequently should you change out your T5 bulbs? | BRStv Investigates

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

This week we're getting back to our roots in the BRStv Investigates series with a test of T5 bulb's longevity from a simulated year's worth of use. We'll finally answer the question on how much spectrum shift and PAR loss you can expect from your bulbs when ran at 100%, as well as test the effects of dimming them to 50%! :)

mjt82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great video! Question: Why did you guys remove the splash guard from the Sunpower fixture, since they are so adamant that the splash guard is an integral part of their cooling system? It seems to me that by documenting the life of the bulbs here that you've disproven that it's absolutely necessary.

Finhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another great video @randyBRS

Great video! Question: Why did you guys remove the splash guard from the Sunpower fixture, since they are so adamant that the splash guard is an integral part of their cooling system? It seems to me that by documenting the life of the bulbs here that you've disproven that it's absolutely necessary.

If you listen to the video he states it's to get a middle ground measurement between passive cooled fixtures and fan cooled fixtures. Not everyone runs a ATI fixture. ;)

mjt82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another great video @randyBRS

If you listen to the video he states it's to get a middle ground measurement between passive cooled fixtures and fan cooled fixtures. Not everyone runs a ATI fixture. ;)

Right, understood, but I guess my point is/was (I don’t think I made myself clear) that you’re not running the fixture as the manufacturer intended. Could that skew the data?

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was a helpful study. Changing 6 bulbs every 9 months is a chunk of change. I'll shoot for the 12 -18 month mark now. Very interested in the upcoming study on coral coloration. I've tried the trace/amino additions for a long period of time and also ran without for a long period of time. I never really saw much of a change, good or bad. The biggest change I saw was feeding more and more often. That really made the corals happy.

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tell your CFO to get over it... we'll just spend our hobby dollars on other stuff ;)

E91EF26.jpg

Ryanbrs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

We were making an attempt to not just test on the Sunpower but find a balance between all the different retro and fixtures installs. Each has it's own active or passive cooling solution.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, thanks for the informative video. Cant wait to see what the next simulated year brings.

jzw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow, great vid. i think brs should continue the experiment past at least the 2 year mark, lol.

@Ryanbrs, does brs offer a dimmer kit for existing t5 fixtures? my dream retrofit kit would have an user-controllable auto ramp up, and ramp down function/timer, plus intensity control - like the functions built into leds (minus specturm control, of course).

Catfish2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I commented on YouTube, it would be hard to find another company that would put out a video that shows you can buy their product less, but this makes me appreciate BRS even more and encourages me to shop with them even more.

I know there are plans to continue the testing for another simulated year and I think that's great. I would love to have that information so I can make a more informed decision. Maybe all those used bulbs I hung onto have some usefulness?

Bob_Marlin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome video! Really glad that you’ve decided to simulate another twelve months as 3 out of the 4 bulbs had the PAR values started to increase at the very end. Even if the results don’t continue in this way it will be interesting to see what happens during the second year. Can’t wait for the next episode in the ULM series and the further tests!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back