How good is Hydros pH probe?

BurgerFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

How good is Hydros pH probe compared to Apex or GHL?

Also, can I connect together pH, temp and ORP probes? Hydros X4 has only 2 ports for probes.

Thanks

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the pinpoint double junction. I am fairly confident it's the same probe Neptune uses but cheaper and no Neptune logo.

I have one of each the Neptune one and the Pinpoint one and they are still in working order after a long time. Like 5 years I think. The old Neptune probe, brs double junction probe, and any single junction probe would last a year at best.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't bother with ORP. Basically a useless measurement. It can theoretically tell you if a fish dies or something, but that is really hard to actually accomplish. The only reason I use my ORP probe is because it came with my apex.

Connor At CoralVue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HYDROS Probe Ports are BNC Connectors, you can connect any pH probe that uses a BNC. The best option, which does come at a cost is the Atlas Scientific Double Junction pH probe. However, the PinPoint pH probe that the kits come with is fairly accurate out of the box, you still always want to calibrate.

As others mentioned, Temp plugs into a Sense Port (Green).

waywardreefer

Discipline Equals Freedom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't bother with ORP. Basically a useless measurement. It can theoretically tell you if a fish dies or something, but that is really hard to actually accomplish. The only reason I use my ORP probe is because it came with my apex.
ORP is good if you run Ozone

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ORP is good if you run Ozone
I'm not convinced that ozone really does anything beneficial that can't be done more easily and safely with activated carbon. You can't safely run ozone without carbon anyway due to oxidized halogens, so some of the purported effects may be incidental to carbon use.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 41.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back