How hard to rebuild tank?

  • Thread starter Thread starter TCoach
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

TCoach

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 21, 2021
Messages
648
Reaction score
611
Location
SC
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3AEEE62E-5861-4CF3-9FE9-C8419D54FF2C.png
Has anyone ever cut the glass out of a tank and resealed it? I have a lead on a 300gal that has a broken bottom frame and leaks there.

I think this is a fairly easy fix of cutting out the glass, removing all silicone, and the “re-glueing” the glass with silicone. Am I correct in this?

If you have done this, how hard to get it right on the 1 to 10 (impossible) scale?

What would you pay for a tank like this? Seller is currently asking $600.

-Thanks TCoach
 
It can be a real hassle cutting apart a tank. If you have the time go for it but I'd try to get the price way down because there is a lot of labor involved and sometimes getting something thin into the joints to cut the silicone can be difficult and risky (like have a knife blade snap in your hands and jamming your hand into the edge of the glass :anguished-face: ). I would also source some high strength silicone to rebuild it.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 12 46.2%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 7.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new