How heavy can a canopy be on a 40 breeder?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ds04384
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Ds04384

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 13, 2015
Messages
401
Reaction score
270
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to make a canopy for my 40 breeder that rests on top of the tank. However I'd need to make it strong enough to hold up a couple lights and tall enough that those lights are 10-12 inches above the water line. Would this likely end up being too heavy?
 
I was going to make a canopy for my 40 breeder that rests on top of the tank. However I'd need to make it strong enough to hold up a couple lights and tall enough that those lights are 10-12 inches above the water line. Would this likely end up being too heavy?

Without knowing an estimated weight of the canopy its difficult to say. If you are using a similar style canopy to what is commercially available is should be fine as long as the canopy supports are even and distribute the weight on all corners of the tank. Do you have an estimated weight for your canopy when its fully assembled?
 
Without knowing an estimated weight of the canopy its difficult to say. If you are using a similar style canopy to what is commercially available is should be fine as long as the canopy supports are even and distribute the weight on all corners of the tank. Do you have an estimated weight for your canopy when its fully assembled?

I don't have an estimated weight yet, I'm trying to plan it out now. I was waiting to figure out the materials until I knew if the weight was going to be a major concern.
 
I don't have an estimated weight yet, I'm trying to plan it out now. I was waiting to figure out the materials until I knew if the weight was going to be a major concern.

I would say that 20-40lbs should be easily held. I am sure more could be held but then again you want to be able to remove the canopy on your own if possible.
 
I would say that 20-40lbs should be easily held. I am sure more could be held but then again you want to be able to remove the canopy on your own if possible.

Ok cool, I don't think there's any way it would exceed 40 lbs, 20 is probably a lot closer.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new