How high to mount wavemaker?

BullyBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey now. I was wondering how high to mount a wavemaker for a FOWLR? I see it mounted at varying heights for reefs and I’m pretty sure it’s got to do with what type of corals are being used.

my research has told me that all I need to do is “break the surface” for a FOWLR. But then I read articles that it depends on the fish being stocked so I’m just not sure.

Consensus is what makes this hobby interesting and frustrating at the same time

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You dont want it to suck air or sand. Some where inbetween is good. If you need to break the surface, point it upward a bit

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well unfortunately the rule is what works for your setup. Breaking the surface is good but not so close to surface it pulls vortexes and fills the tank with air bubbles. You also want enough flow to keep the rock and bottom of tank clean w/o stirring up sand. Experimentation is key...

OP
OP
BullyBee

BullyBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well unfortunately the rule is what works for your setup. Breaking the surface is good but not so close to surface it pulls vortexes and fills the tank with air bubbles. You also want enough flow the keep the rock and bottom of tank clean. Experimentation is key...

is That why people use multiples?

cd459

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it depends on whether your fish can handle the flow and also how your rock work is arranged. If you have more rocks you might need multiple to remove waste that could accumulate. Or if you have delicate fish that don't really like to swim out in the open or can't swim well, they might prefer calmer water. I used to have two Tunzes in my FO tank and one was enough to do a great job of circulating the water and keeping food suspended for the fish, so I removed the second since it just took up space.

JoshO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is largely down to the individual set up. You want surface agitation to keep gas exchange at a good level. You also want to make sure you have enough flow across rockwork and sandbed to ensure you don't have deadpsots where detritus could accumulate. Like others have said you don't want it pulling in air from the surface and you don't want it kicking up the sandbed either so just have an experiment and see what it works well for you! FOWLR means you don't have to worry as much as you aren't trying to feed corals!

NHgoalstop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is largely down to the individual set up. You want surface agitation to keep gas exchange at a good level. You also want to make sure you have enough flow across rockwork and sandbed to ensure you don't have deadpsots where detritus could accumulate. Like others have said you don't want it pulling in air from the surface and you don't want it kicking up the sandbed either so just have an experiment and see what it works well for you! FOWLR means you don't have to worry as much as you aren't trying to feed corals!
I've always wondered about surface agitation, does it matter if you have it in your DT when you're running a sump that is already pretty turbulent?

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always wondered about surface agitation, does it matter if you have it in your DT when you're running a sump that is already pretty turbulent?
Sump may provide aeration among other things but... if you look up at the surface of the water and see what looks like an oil slick you need more surface agitation. Most of the time the slick will sit there and never get to the sump by itself.

JoshO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's something I've always thought about but for me having as much transfer as possible always seems like the best method in my books

OP
OP
BullyBee

BullyBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump may provide aeration among other things but... if you look up at the surface of the water and see what looks like an oil slick you need more surface agitation. Most of the time the slick will sit there and never get to the sump by itself.

that’s why my planted tanks use surface skimmers. :)

I only have a 40 gallon breeder so I’m hoping using a larger wavemaker (aqamai KPM) will do the trick. otherwise I’ll add a smaller wavemaker (aqamai kps) and see how it works. I can’t imagine having 1600 gallons per hour of movement in a 40 gallon tank, but I’ve never owned a salt water tank sooooooo....

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 50 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back