How Homebrewing Saved My Fish...

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little story -

I’ve been a home brewer for over 25 years, I generally brew 15 to 20 gallons a year. I’m ashamed to admit that I am just an extract brewer – one can of extract and 3 pounds of DME and three weeks later I have five gallons of good cheap stout. Indeed, my primary fermenter for all this time has been a six-gallon plastic “Mr. Beer” carboy. Just once, about ten years ago, did I try an all grain recipe. I over-hopped it and had to pour it all out. However, that one instance is how homebrewing saved my fish last month….

The second thing I have to be ashamed of is my 16-gallon Bio-Cube that I set up just before the Covid lock-down. This is the first home aquarium I’ve had in almost 30 years. Since I set it up, I’ve discovered that with R2R, my Zoo work, a new grandson and sailing, I just didn’t have time to maintain it properly. Although it has one really nice Darwin clownfish, all of the rockwork was now covered, nay, completely hidden by hair algae and Valonia. So, I took the day off of work and spent the morning plucking hair algae and washing rockwork. Trying to take a shortcut (as I am prone to do) I then drained 10 gallons out of the tank for a huge water change. I then grabbed my mixing bucket, salt and the … whups; my hydrometer was nowhere to be found! The nearest LFS is 1 ½ hours roundtrip. Although I’ve been mixing seawater for fifty years, my confidence was low that I could just eyeball the mix. As the clownfish eyed me disapprovingly from the murky five gallons of water left in his tank – I remembered my one foray into all-grain brewing; I had purchased a glass hydrometer back then! And using that, is how homebrewing saved my fish!

Jay

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even when I went to partial grain brewing...I still used plastic for some of my vessels....at least I dry hopped my IPA's:p.

Some brew buckets went to the salt...I cut my brew supplies down since I don't brew anymore but keep them "just in case". Racking tube...yep that's the WC change tube now.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make home brew beers big time, English ales and also ciders depending on the time of year, and I also make wine and other stronger tipples which I won’t go into...! Lol

The beers are actually better than you can buy in most cases and that’s why I do it

Im actually completely alcohol self sufficient, or is that dependant!

Anyway cheers!

F1376572-6765-49F5-9ADA-85297E5E932C.jpeg

Sailingeric

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little story -

I’ve been a home brewer for over 25 years, I generally brew 15 to 20 gallons a year. I’m ashamed to admit that I am just an extract brewer – one can of extract and 3 pounds of DME and three weeks later I have five gallons of good cheap stout. Indeed, my primary fermenter for all this time has been a six-gallon plastic “Mr. Beer” carboy. Just once, about ten years ago, did I try an all grain recipe. I over-hopped it and had to pour it all out. However, that one instance is how homebrewing saved my fish last month….

The second thing I have to be ashamed of is my 16-gallon Bio-Cube that I set up just before the Covid lock-down. This is the first home aquarium I’ve had in almost 30 years. Since I set it up, I’ve discovered that with R2R, my Zoo work, a new grandson and sailing, I just didn’t have time to maintain it properly. Although it has one really nice Darwin clownfish, all of the rockwork was now covered, nay, completely hidden by hair algae and Valonia. So, I took the day off of work and spent the morning plucking hair algae and washing rockwork. Trying to take a shortcut (as I am prone to do) I then drained 10 gallons out of the tank for a huge water change. I then grabbed my mixing bucket, salt and the … whups; my hydrometer was nowhere to be found! The nearest LFS is 1 ½ hours roundtrip. Although I’ve been mixing seawater for fifty years, my confidence was low that I could just eyeball the mix. As the clownfish eyed me disapprovingly from the murky five gallons of water left in his tank – I remembered my one foray into all-grain brewing; I had purchased a glass hydrometer back then! And using that, is how homebrewing saved my fish!

Jay
I too brew beer and have used my brew pot and burner to heat up water if I am doing a big water change, does it so much quicker than an aquarium heater. And you sail! Where do you sail? I live not to far from you and if you ever need crew let me know.. and if you want to try your hand at all grain again, I got the equipment to do it.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back