Should I add a new fish or leave it where I’m at?

Leeann Sutherby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 29 gallon tank with a 5 gallon sump. I’ve had this tank running for almost three years now. I have an urge to add a new member, I’m considering a yellow watchman goby, or maybe another type of goby, or maybe even a watchman pistol shrimp pair. I just want to add more life! But I also don’t want to overload my tank & have things start dying on me. I’m looking to add more life, so maybe thinking those could be a nice addition if I can see them, but am also worried they may hide behind my rockwork all day as I have a lot of crevices in my “castle” I’ve built out of about 25 lbs of rock. Maybe a cleaner shrimp and some other kind of fish? I was thinking a goby would do well as all of my fish now currently hang around the mid-top of the tank & in the rocks. I’ve read most goby’s are bottom so thought it’d be a nice addition. My current inhabitants are
A pair of ocellaris clowns
Striped blenny
Orchid dottyback (surprisingly extremely docile, more timid than aggressive. Hides in my caves most of the day)
Fire shrimp (also have to look very hard to find him) lol
Various snails and hermit crabs
I’ve done this coral, and anemone route before & don’t want to try going that way again. Just trying to keep it simple this go around. Any advice/thoughts would be appreciated to ponder!! Thanks:)

OP
OP
Leeann Sutherby

Leeann Sutherby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 years mature with 5 medium size friends in 29g is not packed.
Adding another friend would be fine IMM, as long as your nutrients run stable.
Your choice, quite a few choices for you.
You named some good ones.
I’m leaning heavy on the watchman goby/ pistol shrimp pair. The only thing holding me back is I’ve read some people hardly ever see theirs & id hate to waste something I can’t see as my last addition:/

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m leaning heavy on the watchman goby/ pistol shrimp pair. The only thing holding me back is I’ve read some people hardly ever see theirs & id hate to waste something I can’t see as my last addition:/
A Mandarin? One only.
Mature tank with rock and no other exclusive pod eater this should work. IMM, Is a fish that really stands out, but is reclusive at times.

A trio of simple Anthais? These you see all the time, bright orange with a purple streak through the eye, male has red highlights. If bought young, one will go male in about 6 months. Would max you out though.

Just some thoughts. Full cover for either.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 29 gallon tank with a 5 gallon sump. I’ve had this tank running for almost three years now. I have an urge to add a new member, I’m considering a yellow watchman goby, or maybe another type of goby, or maybe even a watchman pistol shrimp pair. I just want to add more life! But I also don’t want to overload my tank & have things start dying on me. I’m looking to add more life, so maybe thinking those could be a nice addition if I can see them, but am also worried they may hide behind my rockwork all day as I have a lot of crevices in my “castle” I’ve built out of about 25 lbs of rock. Maybe a cleaner shrimp and some other kind of fish? I was thinking a goby would do well as all of my fish now currently hang around the mid-top of the tank & in the rocks. I’ve read most goby’s are bottom so thought it’d be a nice addition. My current inhabitants are
A pair of ocellaris clowns
Striped blenny
Orchid dottyback (surprisingly extremely docile, more timid than aggressive. Hides in my caves most of the day)
Fire shrimp (also have to look very hard to find him) lol
Various snails and hermit crabs
I’ve done this coral, and anemone route before & don’t want to try going that way again. Just trying to keep it simple this go around. Any advice/thoughts would be appreciated to ponder!! Thanks:)
Totally think you could add another fish! Watchmen/pistols are cool (when you can see them). Mine always like the back of the tank where I cant see them for whatever reason

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you thought about a blenny? I love them, super active and goofy fish. Great personalities. Wont ever have a tank without one, they make me super happy to watch

OP
OP
Leeann Sutherby

Leeann Sutherby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Mandarin? One only.
Mature tank with rock and no other exclusive pod eater this should work. IMM, Is a fish that really stands out, but is reclusive at times.

A trio of simple Anthais? These you see all the time, bright orange with a purple streak through the eye, male has red highlights. If bought young, one will go male in about 6 months. Would max you out though.

Just some thoughts. Full cover for either.
I do love the mandarins, I’ve thought about getting one for a while but I’ve heard in smaller tanks they are challenging to keep alive so I wasn’t sure if it’d be worth the shot. The anthais are beautiful! I’ve really never heard of them before, so they may end up being what I go with! Thank you :)

OP
OP
Leeann Sutherby

Leeann Sutherby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you thought about a blenny? I love them, super active and goofy fish. Great personalities. Wont ever have a tank without one, they make me super happy to watch
I currently have a striped blenny! My favorite fish I have right now!! But I have read it’s not a good idea to keep 2 together?

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a YWG/Tiger shrimp pair. Fortunately I see the goby everyday, and the shrimp probably 4-5 days a week.

Just make sure your rockwork is stable as the pair will move every last grain of sand to their liking - not necessarily yours.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do love the mandarins, I’ve thought about getting one for a while but I’ve heard in smaller tanks they are challenging to keep alive so I wasn’t sure if it’d be worth the shot. The anthais are beautiful! I’ve really never heard of them before, so they may end up being what I go with! Thank you :)
What about a scooter blenny instead of a dragonet?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! Do you have any recommendations on another addition that would help add life?
Well you have a smaller system but you can still have diversity but I like utilitarian reef occupants to. I like scarlet leg hermits, tuxedo urchins, different types of snails, ample copepods and amphipods, micro brittle stars, asterina stars, pithos crabs, etc... basically the more microfauna and biodiversity you have in your system the better your overall biome will be.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 117 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back