How I beat Dinoflagellates & kept them away

rocklobster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to post this somewhere because of all the crappy info all over the web. I spent hundreds of dollars and over a year trying all of the methods I could find on the forums.

Diagnosis:
First of all the quick and easy way to figure out if you have Dino’s vs all the other pests out there is quite easy.

1. Remove some of the slimy looking algae from your tank into a small cup.

2. Use a paper towel as a filter, and pour the water through the paper towel into another cup.

3. Put the filtered water in a well lighted area (in the sun or under your tank lights would be optimal)

Check back in a few minutes, If the nuisance in question has regrouped as a stringy snot like substance... congrats you have Dinoflagellates.

So before I tell you what worked for me, here’s what did not work for me:

Hydrogen peroxide:
Okay this was the most useless recommendation on the internet, it literally did nothing. I even dosed 2x the recommended dose, and nada.

Dino-X: This stuff really worked, i paired it with a 72 hour black out and it killed all of the Dino’s (woo!). It also made the Dino’s release its toxins that killed about $500 of my SPS, and fish (RIP Mandarin Goby & Potters angel). A week later the Dino’s were back and any coral that didn’t die became severely discolored. My dragon soul torches looked like something you would find in the $20 bargain bin at your LFS. Don’t use this crap.

Manual removal: This method is nothing more than a bandaid.. if your tank parameters are still accommodative to Dino’s, they’ll grow back. At one point I went as far as removing all of my sand (the only place they grow in my tank), and soaking the sand in hydrogen peroxide for 24 hours. They came back a week later...

UV sterilizer: So I have mixed feelings on this one. It’s certainly not the absolute answer or a quick fix, but it helped keep the Dino’s at bay, and it keeps the water CRYSTAL clear. The theory is that you can blast your rocks/ sand with a turkey Baster and it’ll put the Dino’s in the water column, they’ll be sucked into the sump and run through the UV. The issue is that If your tank parameters still support dinos, they’ll come back.

There’s some really nice ones out there that will run you several hundred dollars, and there’s crappy ones for $40 that do nothing. I ended up going with the Jebao 70w UV sterilizer for my 120G. It was like $80, and it definitely gets the job done and is probably the best option for the if you’re not looking to drop $300-500.

72 hour black out: this makes the Dino’s retreat for a day or so after the black out ends. Even with running the UV sterilizer, they come back within 24 hours and continue to grow in the subsequent days.

The “Go Dirty Method:” With this method you just do zero water changes and don’t clean the glass. The goal here is to raise tank nutrient levels and promote algae growth to compete with the dinos. While it is a good strategy, it did not work.

In fact, I feed frozen food everyday, and haven’t done a water change in over a year.. yet the Dino’s remain.

Where I went wrong:

Through all of my research, it was generally encouraged to turn down your light intensity because dinos don’t do well under pure blue lights. THIS IS THE OPPOSITE OF WHAT YOU SHOULD BE DOING.

What worked:

After doing all of the methods listed above plus some I’m probably forgetting, I found the method that worked.

Background: I switched from a 40G to a 120G about 16 months ago. I never had issues with dinos in the 40G. I had a ton of very mature live rock (probably 3 years old) that I transferred directly into the 120G. However I didn’t have enough sand. So I just bought some non-live sand, and mixed it with my mature live sand. The sand from my previous tank was filled with crap you don’t want floating around in your tank.. so I rinsed it off with clean water to remove the detritus and other funky stuff that had built up over the years. BAD MOVE.. I also removed all the beneficial bacteria. This paved the way for the Dino infestation.

One day I was sitting in front of my tank, feeling defeated by the dinos. As I mentioned before, the dinos only grew on the sand bed. However I noticed they never grew on the rocks. That’s when it hit me:

What’s the difference between my sand & my rock? There’s coraline algae on the rock that doesn’t allow the Dino’s to grow on it! I need to grow algae on my sand!

How to grow algae 101:

Nutrients:
one commonality between dino infested tanks are near zero phosphates and nitrates. You got to pump those numbers up son. Do you have some Chaeto in your sump? That ends today, take it out because we need to get your numbers up, not bring them down. Get yourself some liquid nitrates and liquid phosphate from your LFS. It’ll run you like $15. I’m not one of these scientific reefers that has a $800 dosing & parameter monitoring system.. I got some Hanna checkers, patience, and optimism. Every week or so I’d just pump in whatever the back of the bottle told me to do. You want to get it to the point where algae grows on the glass daily. Clean the glass today, and by tomorrow afternoon it should be back. That’s when you know you’re in the sweet spot. Another gauge is getting a fighting conch. If he spends most of the day wandering around the tank eating stuff off the top on the sand, you’re heading in the right direction. When I had no algae my conch spent weeks under the sand - this is no bueno. Once the algae is growing, stop dosing or else you’ll start growing hair algae which is a PITA that you don’t want to deal with.

Light: algae needs light, especially the white and red color spectrum. Pump up your white and reds. On my AI primes I run my whites between 15-25% during the day, and my reds at 7%.

Literally after over a year of fighting dinos, I beat them in 3 weeks with $15 worth of liquid nitrate and phosphate, a syringe, and my trusty fighting conch side kick. I feel liberated and free. My sand is white, and the tank is once again at peace.

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to post this somewhere because of all the crappy info all over the web. I spent hundreds of dollars and over a year trying all of the methods I could find on the forums.

Diagnosis:
First of all the quick and easy way to figure out if you have Dino’s vs all the other pests out there is quite easy.

2. Use a paper towel as a filter, and pour the water through the paper towel into another cup.

3. Put the filtered water in a well lighted area (in the sun or under your tank lights would be optimal)

Check back in a few minutes, If the nuisance in question has regrouped as a stringy snot like substance... congrats you have Dinoflagellates.

Hydrogen peroxide:
Okay this was the most useless recommendation on the internet, it literally did nothing. I even dosed 2x the recommended dose, and nada.

Dino-X: This stuff really worked, i paired it with a 72 hour black out and it killed all of the Dino’s (woo!). It also made the Dino’s release its toxins that killed about $500 of my SPS, and fish (RIP Mandarin Goby & Potters angel). A week later the Dino’s were back and any coral that didn’t die became severely discolored. My dragon soul torches looked like something you would find in the $20 bargain bin at your LFS. Don’t use this crap.

Manual removal: This method is nothing more than a bandaid.. if your tank parameters are still accommodative to Dino’s, they’ll grow back. At one point I went as far as removing all of my sand (the only place they grow in my tank), and soaking the sand in hydrogen peroxide for 24 hours. They came back a week later...

UV sterilizer: So I have mixed feelings on this one. It’s certainly not the absolute answer or a quick fix, but it helped keep the Dino’s at bay, and it keeps the water CRYSTAL clear. The theory is that you can blast your rocks/ sand with a turkey Baster and it’ll put the Dino’s in the water column, they’ll be sucked into the sump and run through the UV. The issue is that If your tank parameters still support dinos, they’ll come back.

There’s some really nice ones out there that will run you several hundred dollars, and there’s crappy ones for $40 that do nothing. I ended up going with the Jebao 70w UV sterilizer for my 120G. It was like $80, and it definitely gets the job done and is probably the best option for the if you’re not looking to drop $300-500.

72 hour black out: this makes the Dino’s retreat for a day or so after the black out ends. Even with running the UV sterilizer, they come back within 24 hours and continue to grow in the subsequent days.

The “Go Dirty Method:” With this method you just do zero water changes and don’t clean the glass. The goal here is to raise tank nutrient levels and promote algae growth to compete with the dinos. While it is a good strategy, it did not work.

In fact, I feed frozen food everyday, and haven’t done a water change in over a year.. yet the Dino’s remain.

Where I went wrong:

Through all of my research, it was generally encouraged to turn down your light intensity because dinos don’t do well under pure blue lights. THIS IS THE OPPOSITE OF WHAT YOU SHOULD BE DOING.

What worked:

After doing all of the methods listed above plus some I’m probably forgetting, I found the method that worked.

Background: I switched from a 40G to a 120G about 16 months ago. I never had issues with dinos in the 40G. I had a ton of very mature live rock (probably 3 years old) that I transferred directly into the 120G. However I didn’t have enough sand. So I just bought some non-live sand, and mixed it with my mature live sand. The sand from my previous tank was filled with crap you don’t want floating around in your tank.. so I rinsed it off with clean water to remove the detritus and other funky stuff that had built up over the years. BAD MOVE.. I also removed all the beneficial bacteria. This paved the way for the Dino infestation.

One day I was sitting in front of my tank, feeling defeated by the dinos. As I mentioned before, the dinos only grew on the sand bed. However I noticed they never grew on the rocks. That’s when it hit me:

What’s the difference between my sand & my rock? There’s coraline algae on the rock that doesn’t allow the Dino’s to grow on it! I need to grow algae on my sand!

How to grow algae 101:

Nutrients:
one commonality between dino infested tanks are near zero phosphates and nitrates. You got to pump those numbers up son. Do you have some Chaeto in your sump? That ends today, take it out because we need to get your numbers up, not bring them down. Get yourself some liquid nitrates and liquid phosphate from your LFS. It’ll run you like $15. I’m not one of these scientific reefers that has a $800 dosing & parameter monitoring system.. I got some Hanna checkers, patience, and optimism. Every week or so I’d just pump in whatever the back of the bottle told me to do. You want to get it to the point where algae grows on the glass daily. Clean the glass today, and by tomorrow afternoon it should be back. That’s when you know you’re in the sweet spot. Another gauge is getting a fighting conch. If he spends most of the day wandering around the tank eating stuff off the top on the sand, you’re heading in the right direction. When I had no algae my conch spent weeks under the sand - this is no bueno. Once the algae is growing, stop dosing or else you’ll start growing hair algae which is a PITA that you don’t want to deal with.

Light: algae needs light, especially the white and red color spectrum. Pump up your white and reds. On my AI primes I run my whites between 15-25% during the day, and my reds at 7%.

Literally after over a year of fighting dinos, I beat them in 3 weeks with $15 worth of liquid nitrate and phosphate, a syringe, and my trusty fighting conch side kick. I feel liberated and free. My sand is white, and the tank is once again at peace.
What do you keep your nitrates and phosphates at? I'm at around10ppm nitrates and 0.5 phosphates and it hasn't made a dent in my dinos.

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Diagnosis:

Hydrogen peroxide:

Where I went wrong:

What worked:

How to grow algae 101:

Nutrients:

I agree adding competition for the dinos is what helps, i recently beat them in a month using this method but since i was getting a bad case of briopsys i used fluconazole to get rid of it. It definitely worked with the briopsys and the dinos didnt come back until i had to do a water change to remove the medicine ( BIG MISTAKE ). Within 2 days of doing the water change the dinos are back again all over the sand, now i gotta start dosing phosphates again which sucks!!! I am starting to get film algae on the glass though but i dont clean it for now.

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you keep your nitrates and phosphates at? I'm at around10ppm nitrates and 0.5 phosphates and it hasn't made a dent in my dinos.
Raise the phosphates to 0.10 aince 0.05 is in the margin of error for hanna which can actually be telling you its at 0.

Alanna102499

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dealing with a very similar situation.
In the process of raising the Nitrates and Phosphate. (If I couple just figure out that Red Sea test high/ low?) tomorrow ends the 72 hour blackout. I have a Kessil AP 700 how can I adjust the white and reds in the lights?

OP
OP
R

rocklobster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have my phosphates at .65, and nitrates at 13 PPM last time I checked two weeks ago.

Are you getting algae growth?

OP
OP
R

rocklobster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree adding competition for the dinos is what helps, i recently beat them in a month using this method but since i was getting a bad case of briopsys i used fluconazole to get rid of it. It definitely worked with the briopsys and the dinos didnt come back until i had to do a water change to remove the medicine ( BIG MISTAKE ). Within 2 days of doing the water change the dinos are back again all over the sand, now i gotta start dosing phosphates again which sucks!!! I am starting to get film algae on the glass though but i dont clean it for now.

Ahh I feel your pain. I’m sticking with no water changes unless the corals start showing severe stress.

unless you have dinos growing on the glass, I see no reason why you can’t scrape it off. I never let my glass get gross.

OP
OP
R

rocklobster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dealing with a very similar situation.
In the process of raising the Nitrates and Phosphate. (If I couple just figure out that Red Sea test high/ low?) tomorrow ends the 72 hour blackout. I have a Kessil AP 700 how can I adjust the white and reds in the lights?

As I stated In the write up.. the 72 hour black out is basically useless. I have no idea how it became a key tenant of defeating dinos, it gets rid of them for 24 hours at most. You need algae growth to outcompete the Dino’s. It’s kind of hard to do that when you’re not giving the algae any light to grow.

I don’t know how to adjust the light settings on a Kessil, sorry.

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh I feel your pain. I’m sticking with no water changes unless the corals start showing severe stress.

unless you have dinos growing on the glass, I see no reason why you can’t scrape it off. I never let my glass get gross.
Do you siphon some of the dinos from the sand through a filter sock then just dump the same water back into the tank? I heard that helps lower their population too. A 1 micron filter sock wouod work great since dino cells cant go through that.

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Raise the phosphates to 0.10 aince 0.05 is in the margin of error for hanna which can actually be telling you its at 0.
My phosphate is actually 0.5, not 0.05. My nutrients haven't been anywhere near 0 in almost 6 weeks but it hasn't made a difference.

I have my phosphates at .65, and nitrates at 13 PPM last time I checked two weeks ago.

Are you getting algae growth?
I'm getting gha in the sump and overflow. It doesn't even get a chance to grow in the display because of my tangs. I do have a few patches of cyano here and there.

Alanna102499

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I stated In the write up.. the 72 hour black out is basically useless. I have no idea how it became a key tenant of defeating dinos, it gets rid of them for 24 hours at most. You need algae growth to outcompete the Dino’s. It’s kind of hard to do that when you’re not giving the algae any light to grow.

I don’t know how to adjust the light settings on a Kessil, sorry.
I saw it didn’t work for you but I’m out of it tomorrow. I think I figured out the light situation. I think...

OP
OP
R

rocklobster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you siphon some of the dinos from the sand through a filter sock then just dump the same water back into the tank? I heard that helps lower their population too. A 1 micron filter sock wouod work great since dino cells cant go through that.

I did do that with a gravel vacuum and a 5 micron filter sock. However I realized that I’m sucking out the dinos.. but I’m also removing algae and the beneficial bacteria. Maybe I wouldn’t mind that so much, but one thing I’ve learned is that dinos grow back muchhhh faster than anything else.

My phosphate is actually 0.5, not 0.05. My nutrients haven't been anywhere near 0 in almost 6 weeks but it hasn't made a difference.

I'm getting gha in the sump and overflow. It doesn't even get a chance to grow in the display because of my tangs. I do have a few patches of cyano here and there.

You should cut all light sources from your sump. The GHA will sucks all of the nutrients from the system.. sooo you’ll just have GHA, low nutrients, and dinos. I would say that’s substantially worse than just having dinos.

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did do that with a gravel vacuum and a 5 micron filter sock. However I realized that I’m sucking out the dinos.. but I’m also removing algae and the beneficial bacteria. Maybe I wouldn’t mind that so much, but one thing I’ve learned is that dinos grow back muchhhh faster than anything else.

You should cut all light sources from your sump. The GHA will sucks all of the nutrients from the system.. sooo you’ll just have GHA, low nutrients, and dinos. I would say that’s substantially worse than just having dinos.
That's actually exactly how I ended up in this situation in the first place. I had a ton of gha in my sump and it dropped my nutrients down to 0. Then one day it all disappeared and boom, dinos.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 16 16.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 67 67.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.1%

Back