How I coaxed my BTA to move

abossi2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a green bubble tip anemone that had moved around to the backside of my rock structure shortly after putting him in the tank. I left him there for a week hoping he would move on his own somewhere more visible. He didn't budge from his hidden rear facing spot. I could barely see him from the side of my tank. In the meantime, my clown fish started hosting him (which is great... except now I can't really see either of them!) Therefore, I searched the forums here for tips on coaxing an anemone to move.

I tried shading him with a piece of black plastic for 4 days... he didn't budge. Tried aiming a power head at him for awhile... no luck. His foot was in a fairly narrow deep crack and while I could get one finger down beside his foot, I didn't want to risk hurting his foot by trying to pull him out. I left him alone for a few more days and I decided to take one more run at it tonight. This time I used a piece of ice in a zip lock bag and put it beside him. It worked! Took about 5 minutes or so of me moving the ice close to the side of his foot as he would move/release.

I put him in a spot on the front of my rock very similar to the one he was in on the rear. Hopefully he will like the new spot and or at least stay in a visible location.

I just wanted to share what worked for me in case anyone is searching for a similar situation in the future!

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 11 9.8%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 48 42.9%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 52 46.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back